Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What makes me upset is the elective surgeries being cancelled again b/c of the influx of Covid pts (mostly unvaccinated) filling up hospitals. The backlog was way behind even before this 4th wave.

I watched an interview with an elderly man who has been living in pain b/c his second hip replacement surgery has been postponed (again) until April.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are estimating that there have been 780,000 surgeries postponed here in Canada so far since the Pandemic was called. I heard an interview with a doctor from I think it was Saskatchewan who was upset because they are allowing the unvaccinated covid patients to pretty much take over the hospitals while denying access to heart and cancer patients. Between August and December of 2020 alone, they estimate that approximately 4,000 people died in Canada unnecessarily because of this. :(

Barry, SNT Gatchaman, Sean and 10 others like this.
  3. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i thought, initially the omicron variant could *not* be detected with regular flow/pcr tests ?

there had to be changes with the tests, to distinguish the omicron from the "regular" covid variants.

is it possible, that there are now such rocketing infection numbers, just because it can be detected all of a sudden? while it has been around for ages already ? and therefore is spread all over the place...

no... no... we wouldnt be that stupid

4. roller*

yes, one couldnt make this stuff up...

0,5% or so of all covid infected people would notice any symptoms at all.

but i understand, nobody cares about this.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. roller*

just to say it...

A) DIVI, the german society of medicals in intensive care, REFUSED to comply with a mandatory vaccination.
    meantime, the tune changed somewhat..

you understand, that doctors from intensive care didnt want to be vaccinated?

B) there are mandatory testings at the workplace. at least in some companies staff with exposure to customers has to be tested at the plant.
    the FIRST to REFUSE this procedure were the medicals/doctors offices. too much effort, too much to write and document, they said.

6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am thoroughly confused about the booster roll-out.

I was put in Group 6 back at the start of the year and had my second dose in early May. I only got a text about booking my booster last Friday—7 months after my second dose.

Have they got rid of the groups now and are just rolling out the booster in age order?

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Same for my daughter - she was in group 6 and had her second dose the day after I had mine based on my age (over 70) in late April.

The home vaccinator came to do my booster in late November (7 month gap). I persuaded him to do my daughter's booster at the same time, even though she hadn't yet had a letter telling her she could book.

8. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know if there's any other route to getting a home booster vaccine in the UK other than your GP? There seems to be no mechanism to book one on the main NHS site. I had both of the first two vaccines at home, courtesy of the GP's surgery, but they have greatly reduced capacity to offer this service for the boosters.

9. InitialConditions

I'm not certain, but I suspect not. I think everything goes through GP clinics, except pop-up and walk-in centres.

10. Trish

In my area (Dorset) the GP's were taken out of the booster program, and when I spoke to my GP about something else I asked what was happening for those who had theirs at home. She said she didn't know, but it wasn't being done through GP's. Then after I got my letter, I tried to book a home visit via the website and phone line but they weren't doing any home visits. So then I looked on my GP's website, and it said someone would contact those needing a home booster by the end of November. On 29th November a home vaccinator turned up unannounced, and did my booster, and after discussion, also did my daughter's.

If your GP practice has a website, they may have information there about what is happening in your area.

11. InitialConditions

You could contact the ME Association to see if they have heard of any other alternative.

Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and Florence like this.
  12. Trish

That seems unlikely, as I think it varies from area to area.

It may all change now that the government has asked GP's to put off other work in order to join back in doing the boosters to try to get them done at a higher rate.

If you had a home visit for the previous doses, you should be still on their list for home visits, and they should automatically include you. Someone may just turn up without warning to do it, as they did for me.

13. Florence

Thank you @InitialConditions and @Trish

My GP's surgery say they are currently fully booked for making home visits to deliver boosters but will keep me in mind and get back in touch if they find themselves able to do more.

It's a good idea to contact the ME Association. I have posted a message as a response to other comments about this on the MEA Facebook page. It would be good if the ME Association can highlight this problem @Russell Fleming

Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That could be the case. My husband's PCR test came back positive for Covid after 5 days. Normal turnaround here is 2. We have one of the major testing labs close to us. We have been told that it can detect if Covid but not if it is the new variant. It could take 2 weeks for them to run the test and even if they have the result we may never know. They are not under any obligation to tell us.

Noted that in the report about Victoria Derbyshire's brother he received a text message 2 days after his positive PCR so things could be improving or very regional.
    Saw a quote from the Zoe Project that the South of England and London were worse then the North.

15. ukxmrv

You could also look on your local CNCC groups website and see if there is more information there or if they have a dedicated local area Covid helpline (not the same as the 119 number). Ours did and they really did try to help.

Binkie4, MEMarge, Trish and 2 others like this.
  16. Florence

Thank you @ukxmrv . I didn't know about the CNCC group websites. I will take a look.

Binkie4, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Florence

Apologies @ukxmrv . My brain is always slow. Did you mean CCG when you said CNCC groups? Or is there another organisation I should be looking at?

Binkie4 likes this.
  18. ukxmrv

Absolutely right. My apologies

19. Florence

ukxmrv, Binkie4 and Trish like this.
  20. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From talking with a friend who lives in Oxfordshire, because the Omicron variant is doubling every two days in the UK, it sounds like the gov't is in panic mode now trying to get everyone to get their booster shots.

AliceLily, Ariel, Sean and 6 others like this.