Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they must have, because I got bumped up a couple of levels for the first two due to being a carer, but didn't get an invitation to book a booster until 7 months after my second jab.

BTW, a bit of information in relation to vaccines, boosters and Omicron (as we know at the moment):

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...d-professor/ar-AARLDzZ?ocid=ASUDHP&li=AAnZ9Ug

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really struggle with booster efficiency being touted as 70 to 75% if you have had AZ for both previous jags. Could be much lower

3. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rapid Response:
    Evidence does not justify mandatory vaccines

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2957/rr-1

..some quotes...

AliceLily, Argos, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow.
    Got booster last night. Pfizer - previous innoculations both AZ.

Person administering was very pleased to tell me that recent info was that this combination provides 93% protection.

I didn't burst her bubble.

No wonder people think they are invincible.

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what is causing my ME. I don't know how I could tell whether it's autoimmune or mitochondrial or neurological or whatever, since we have no tests.

7. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reason I think that mine is autoimmune is because I have rarely caught anything since the first few years. So that's over 20 years catching hardly anything. (Will have to return to this later, as I am losing my ability to think.)

8. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure this is evidence of autoimmunity? xx

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vaccines don't cause autoimmunity much anyway. And millions of people have been vaccinated and nothing significant reported. People with autoimmune disease are particularly likely to suffer if not vaccinated.

The piece is ill-informed. Interesting to see that the first author is a psychiatrist and that Peter Gotzsche is included.

10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A more general question: When vaccines were developed and tested in studies, did they know back then we will need boosters/third jabs?

The first time I remember this came up in the media was this summer with data from Israel.

Before that my impression was 2 jabs and you're done.

Got my 3rd today and wondering for how often this is going to be repeated...

11. Trish

Given that the virus is mutating, and that some people are getting infected more than once, I suspect it's going to end up like flu, with annual vaccinations including the latest strains for vulnerable people.

12. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EDIT see @Trish comments below - I've had my booster and I pre-booked it to get the slot immediately I was eligible. OK this time it looks like a booster will (at a population level) work but generally I'm concerned that new variants will simply make a vaccine ineffective. New variants seem to be arriving at an alarming rate and I'm not convinced we can keep up (even in the wealthier countries).

Deleted text:
    The efficacy of the vaccine, against the original variant e.g. after 1 year, seems to be pretty academic, since the new variant is highly transmissible in people vaccinated against the original variant. So, we seem to be in a cycle of needing new vaccines - I'm just hoping that the window doesn't drop to a point where the system can't keep up or that a new variant is highly transmissible and causes severe illness.

There's a theory that new strains may emerge in people who are vaccinated and immunocompromised (e.g. due to HIV); the virus isn't dealt with effectively and it keeps evolving, in the host, until it gets a combination which beats the vaccine.

Sort of highlights @Jonathan Edwards point that elimination is the way to go - New Zealand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  13. Trish

If the vaccine prevents serious infection, which it seems to do, that still makes it worth having.

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given that mutation rate is presumably related to transmission rate, I imagine one of the more significant risks with Omicron will be higher likelihood of further mutations.

FMMM1, Snow Leopard, Sean and 6 others like this.
  15. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our experts are saying the same thing, Corona might become like the flu where vulnerable people are recommended to get a jab every year to be protected from the current circulting mutation.

I'm wondering more about if this was foreseeable during the initial studies. I'm a complete layman and maybe that was clear to everyone who is more educated on the subject.

The message that I got here in Germany though up until summer in the media (by experts) was that you're "done" after two. Not to get sterilizing immunity, but to be protected enough so the pandamic will finally get to a flu like endemic.

So I'm wondering if they just didnt know better at that time or left that out for "PR" reasons.

16. FMMM1

Certainly and I've had mine --- I suppose I was thinking more generally i.e. that vaccines will cease to work due to new variants, rather than decreasing immunity (with time).

hibiscuswahine, AliceLily and Trish like this.
  17. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New Zealand :heart: I love my country.

If any one is interested, you want to read our full national anthem, it is absolutely beautiful.

18. FMMM1

Yea the 1918 influenza pandemic was another influenza but it took a hell of a toll. I wonder if the models these guys are working from really have enough data --- the global transmission rates are so high this virus has the opportunity to check out a lot of combinations (variants).

I am too; I check out Independent Sage on Friday's - @Snow Leopard is my go to person. Still the fact that I consult reputable source doesn't mean I learn!

19. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am no vaccine expert but scientists go on the available science now and it depends on the government what it chooses to do and what it tells it’s people (often overly hopeful).

In NZ we have been fortunate enough to mostly watch the world have a pandemic due to fast lockdown, border restriction, elimination (but a relatively slow vaccine roll out, now going like the clappers with delta and now 81% of eligible pop vaccinated with most main pop areas above 90%), mandatory double Pfizer vaccination for the majority of the working pop, vaccine passes for most indoor activities, mask mandates and we are only just moving away from national lockdown with contact tracing to local which will really test our systems….

Also with summer holidays here - a big push to vaccinate age 5-12 before return to school in Feb and boosters starting in older age groups. We mostly have a compliant pop and good governance. They have never stated we had covid sorted, actually they apologised this week for not being prepared enough for delta, now we are awaiting omicron….and I suspect another vaccine drive for 3rd Pfizer doses will occur within 3-4 months. We are also fortunate that medicine to treat acute covid is now available and with all the restrictions etc has saved many lives where other countries lost so many. :cry:

I am not sure it will become like influenza, I think that is wishful thinking. I think virologists cannot predict the changes that may still occur and vaccines have to catch up with. That is why other measures just as important - masks, social distancing, ventilation etc, for many years.

FMMM1, Barry, TigerLilea and 4 others like this.
  20. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether someone knowledgable can expand on transmission vs host factors on viral mutation.

Some potentially relevant papers (which I aim to read this evening):