1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck!

andypants, Nellie, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the poor efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine compared to the Pfizer/Moderna alternatives, I'd rather wait a little longer than be given the inferior vaccine.

FMMM1 and Mij like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was hoping to get vaccinated at home when it becomes available, but I'm not sure they'll l have the necessary equipment in case of an allergic reaction? I don't have allergies that I'm aware of, but . . .

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it could be months before wider Pfizer availability in UK and infection is spreading fast.

Yessica, Binkie4 and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And it's been made clear we don't have any choice about which vaccine we have.

Yessica, Binkie4, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there anyone else here unsure about whether to get the vaccine, due to allergic reactions and/or it leading to a relapse in ME? I’ve been told not to get the flu vaccine anymore due to some sort of reaction - rashes all over my body, itching, big swelling at injection site, fever, feeling very unwell and then I got a relapse in my ME symptoms. Nurse said after the second one not to have them anymore. So I’m so worried about what to do for this one. I’m sure I’ll probably be asked to have one soon as I’m in the clinically vulnerable group. If I say no now, is that my chance over forever? If I have a relapse now, I don’t know how I’ll be able to have a surgery even within the next 6-12 months as it might take a long time (if ever), to recover from. I don’t know what to do? :(

My mum asked if I had posted here as she wondered if anyone else was having similar issues or reactions to jabs.

8. MeSci

Yes - I'm not having it unless I am forced to, due to auto-immunity that I think I have, as stated earlier.

Yessica, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  9. lunarainbows

Does auto immunity cause an issue with vaccines? I have lupus but didn’t think lupus caused any issues as no one has said that to me before. I thought it’s related to ME. But not many people with ME seem to have issues with vaccines either. Or do they, and I’ve just not seen that many people reporting it?

Samuel, MeSci and MEMarge like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been advised not to have the flu vaccine either @lunarainbows because of the risk of adverse reactions thanks to allergies.

The issue isn't as pressing for me as, ME aside, I have no reason to assume I'm more vulnerable than the next person.

I plan to wait and see. When we get to the stage where I'm offered the vaccine I will discuss it with the nurse or my doctor then. If they believe it is safe then I probably will have it. My husband will have to return to his normal work environment eventually and there's a risk he might bring it home with him.

In the meantime I am hoping I will have a phone appointment with my ME doctor and I will discuss it then.

I really don't see why that would be the case. Only if the definition of who is vulnerable & most at risk changes and you become ineligible on those grounds I should think. Which is no guarantee of course, just my opinion.

Yessica, MeSci, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  11. lunarainbows

This is a good idea! I think I’ll do the same.

Yessica, Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  12. Mij

13. MeSci

I think that I have immunity to just about everything, and that vaccines may worsen my condition. The reason I think so is that I rarely catch anything, and haven't for a long time. I used to get colds as often as anyone else, but stopped getting them years ago. I think that a larger portion of ME sufferers have the same, but not all. I have had possible COVID last February-March, but that may not make me immune to getting it again, especially as the toe in which I had the condition is still slightly discoloured.

I mentioned it here: The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research, vaccines, treatments | Page 23 | Science for ME (s4me.info)

lunarainbows likes this.
  14. MeSci

That sounds very unlikely (zero negative effects from the vaccine).

Invisible Woman and lunarainbows like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't take any chances based on that but rather err in the side of caution @MeSci. As far as I know (& I am no expert) most of the symptoms we get with colds and flu are not symptoms of the infection itself but are caused by our immune systems fighting the infection.

Being asymptomatic could mean that the immune system isn't up to mounting a strong defence.

In my own case I produce very mild symptoms for a day or so and then experience an ME crash. So whatever is happening it seems either my own immune system causes the crash or ME prevents the immune system responding normally.

Yessica, Mij and lunarainbows like this.
  16. Mij

I get reactivations of herpes viruses (?) frequently, dizziness. weakness, fatigue etc. often. For me it doesn't feel like the flu, but who knows sometimes it might be the flu? I don't think I have an autoimmune issue though.

We've got lots of time to wait and see how the vaccine plays out with more data will be coming in. I'm feeling more confident about getting vaccinated.

Yessica likes this.
  17. lunarainbows

I don’t think I have that much time. Clinically extremely vulnerable people (which I’m in) will be vaccinated by mid feb I think.

Invisible Woman and Sarah94 like this.
  18. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, my caree's GP has put her down as extremely vulnerable too, I don't know exactly why. I know she read the ME Association letter describing pwME as vulnerable, but extremely vulnerable? (Caree doesn't really have any other comorbidities or anything) I suspect we need to ask her for her reasons, and whether she thinks there are likely to be any adverse effects as a result.

Invisible Woman and lunarainbows like this.
  19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's impossible. I hate it when people equate rare with zero.

20. lunarainbows

I think it is up to a GP’s discretion as to whether they put someone down as clinically extremely vulnerable - it says online it’s done on a case by case basis so even if her conditions are not on the list, she can be added.

Invisible Woman, Nellie and Wits_End like this.