Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NEW - Quadruple vaccinated Pfizer CEO infected with COVID.

2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Mij

Four cases of cytokine storm after COVID-19 vaccination: Case report:

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...T&utm_campaign=ECO_FIMMU_XXXXXXXX_auto-dlvrit

The global coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has led to the rapid development of vaccines against this disease. Despite the success of the international vaccination program, adverse events following vaccination, and the mechanisms behind them, remain poorly understood.

Here we present four cases of death following receipt of a second dose of COVID-19 vaccine, with no obvious cause identified at autopsy. Using RNA sequencing, we identified genes that were differentially expressed between our post-vaccination cases and a control group that died of blood loss and strangulation. Three hundred and ninety genes were found to be upregulated and 115 genes were downregulated in post-vaccination cases compared with controls. Importantly, genes involved in neutrophil degranulation and cytokine signaling were upregulated.

Our results suggest that immune dysregulation occurred following vaccination. Careful observation and care may be necessary if an abnormally high fever exceeding 40°C occurs after vaccination, even with antipyretic drugs.

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was a bit puzzled by the description of the controls, and it was only two cases - one of blood loss (aged 54) and one of strangulation (aged 86).

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Mij

@MeSci

Agree, I don't understand that part. At first I thought it was the result of a murder?

MeSci likes this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A comment from a Consultant Cardiologist in todays daily Express

"Comment by Dr Aseem Malhotra - Consultant Cardiologist
    The development of a number safe and highly effective vaccines during the latter half of the twentieth century is one of modern medicine's greatest achievements, estimated to save 4-5 million lives per year globally.

I was therefore very enthusiastic at the announcement towards the end of 2020 at the development of a number of highly efficacious inoculations against Covid-19.

Volunteering in a vaccine centre I was one of the first to receive two doses of the BionTech/Pfizer vaccine in January 2021.

A month later I went on Good Morning Britain to promote the jab as being safe after I convinced a vaccine hesitant film director Gurinder Chaddha to take it.

But the history of medicine has taught us that when it comes to scientific evidence today’s truth may be tomorrow’s folly.

Within a few months we started to see swathes of vaccinated people being infected. With newer strains it’s now accepted the vaccine likely doesn’t give any significant protection against infection even if it might give some protection to the elderly and vulnerable from serious illness and death.

But despite the overwhelming evidence that the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission mandates continue to be adopted all over the world driving greater suspicion and anti-vaccine activism. But most concerning of all is a recent re-analysis of Pfizer’s original drug company sponsored trial that led to the roll out in the first place.

It suggests the chance of a serious side effect from the vaccine may be greater than ending up in hospital from Covid.

What we don’t know is which age groups this applies to as it was just an average across a trial that included young and old.

In retrospect our initial optimism of the effectiveness of the vaccine was all fuelled by the PR machinery of pharma whose primary motive is to produce profit for shareholders.

They have no legal requirement to give you the best treatment.

It’s now our duty as doctors whose only interest is to protect patients to get to the truth.

Ending all coercive policies for Covid-19 vaccination until all of Pfizer’s vaccine trial raw data is released for independent analysis is now a necessity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseem_Malhotra-information on Dr Malhotra.

Sid, ukxmrv, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  7. Mij

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Binkie4 like this.
  8. Mij

I just received another call within 2 months for my 2 booster shot. I explained to the nurse that I'm waiting for the new and improved jab in the fall. She told me that they might not be available.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt, Ariel, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  9. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this the longest we have gone without another severe new Covid variant? I think it has been over a year since omicron began.

Edit: just realised I might be in the wrong thread!

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and Binkie4 like this.
  10. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm, I think I'd want to see more evidence than simply one study carried out on less than 500 participants. Is there some? Surely there must be, for whatever the agency is now called to approve it for use in the UK? I'm also intrigued as to how effective something targeting two completely different strains may be.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think that would be common practice for updating vaccines eg the flu vaccine which normally includes several strains of the most recent variants.

12. SNT Gatchaman

It could be argued that we've had two or three severe new variants post Omicron this year. 2020 had ancestral. 2021 had alpha, beta, gamma, delta variants. 2022 has so far had original Omicron (BA.1 aka B.1.1.529), BA.2, a BA.2/BA.3 recombinant (XE), BA.3, BA.4, BA.5, BA.2.75. Of those at least BA.4 and BA.5 could have justified a new Greek name, and BA.2.75 may yet earn its.

The naming is not purely scientific, it is largely political. The Greek names were used to communicate to the public. It seems that the drivers of that communication are now at least partly intended to convey that "the pandemic is stable and everything is under control".

Recognising the failures in pandemic messaging ("it's mild, go back to work and school" -> "huh, why is no-one taking up boosters?" and "herd immunity" -> "oh, ongoing transmission and multiple re-infections") some have tried to pre-emptively name BA.2.75 as "Centaurus". This has in fact gained some traction in social and conventional media.

Why call it BA.2.12.1? A guide to the tangled Omicron family (Nature News Explainer, May 2022)
    Will ‘Centaurus’ be the next global coronavirus variant? Indian cases offers clues (Nature News, Aug 2022)

13. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Just his biased opinion. The data shows the opposite.
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7105e1.htm

14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the comment is supposed to be age and demographic specific. I don't think he is arguing that for people aged 50+ that the vaccine is more dangerous than the benefit (reduced severity of COVID).

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Cheshire likes this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

Ariel, Lilas, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  17. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jack was another person who developed Neuropathy after having the covid vaccine. It's unfortunate that he couldn't hang on and wait it out as most people eventually recover even though it takes a long time for recovery. He lost hope and didn't think that he would ever recover. It's heart breaking. Those of us with vaccine injuries are being treated just as poorly by the medical system as those of us with ME. :(

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the things that has struck me strongly about having an adverse response to taking the vaccine is how similarly one is judged, to people with ME. The adverse response, like the illness, is ignored and one's experience is invalidated.

There seems to be no interest in finding the groups for whom the vaccine is unsafe and why. There seem to be a number of people with ME affected. It seems certain that repeated vaccines will be with us for a considerable while, and this adds constant pressure to feeling unsafe because one knows one is becoming more and more unprotected ...the statistics are churned out....and no one cares. There is no investigation of who is particularly at risk or why. One becomes more isolated and mental health suffers. I am sorry that Jack couldn't hold on.

19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recovery from peripheral neuropathy is often incomplete - For example, post-GBS, around 50% of patients have persistent long-term symptoms (even people who are 'mildly' affected, eg only legs paralysed)

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  20. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the groups that I belong to it seems that eventually most of us with adverse reactions from the vaccines, including those with Neuropathy, do recover. Several neurologists in the US have been telling their patients that neuropathy as a result of a vaccine usually resolves itself within two years. Only time will tell.

Peter Trewhitt, MeSci, Ariel and 2 others like this.