1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was turned down for Novavax. In the U.S. it is not yet approved as a booster. I had thought since my original J&J was way back in April of last year that this stipulation would not apply.

A couple of weeks after a minor procedure at my ENT's office next week, I'll get the J&J again. Disappointed about the Novavax, though.

2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But those who are affected including the severely affected have not been recognised or supported. Are you saying that you are willing to sacrifice the few to protect the many?

edit: Sorry but I am away on holiday with family arriving imminently so will be unable to pursue further discussion if it takes place.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's a big question to ask, Binkie. If one were to support not vaccinating anyone on the grounds that a small minority have serious side effects, the reverse question would have to be asked. Are you wiling to sacrifice the many to protect the few?

No of course I don't think it's right that people who a have been severely affected by vaccines have not been recognised or supported. I have huge sympathy for those who are in that awful situation and am appalled when I hear of lack of support. I also have huge sympathy for those who have been equally badly affected by catching Covid without protection from vaccines, and for those who are seriously ill with long covid, with or without having been vaccinated, and for the families of those who have died from Covid19.

In a perfect world we would have vaccines that and 100% effective and 0% side effects. In the imperfect world we actually live in, I support the strategy that has the best chance of preventing the most deaths and serious illness, alongside high quality care for those badly affected both by the rare side effects of vaccines and by Covid itself.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Hutan, Cheshire, Missense and 11 others like this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to admit that I don't fully support the strategy as long as part of it includes deliberately silencing facts about vaccine injuries and publicly and repeatedly minimizing/brushing off those affected (in the media, info published by the government, in the public conversation, and so on) because the people who created and are maintaining the strategy are afraid that "the masses" won't get vaccinated if these things are recognised and talked about openly.

I believe everyone deserves the facts, in order to make an informed decision. It's about consent.

To clarify, I believe it is wrong to treat the public as if we can't handle the facts/truth, can't be trusted with information and data.

As far as I can tell, the data so far clearly shows that the risk is very very small, but it's not completely non-existent. I seriously doubt the data would stop "the masses" from getting vaccinated. I honestly don't see the problem, why not just be open about it in public communication etc? I don't see anything "scary" about this data?

It's when they start withholding and deliberately trying to silence/downplay facts that are essential for informed consent, that the red flags start popping up for me. Sharing this data shouldn't be a big deal at all.

If history teaches us anything, it's that as long as part of the strategy is to pretend that there's no problem and no risk as all, those affected won't be recognised nor supported.

Hutan, Dakota15, Missense and 13 others like this.
  5. Trish

I agree, Mango, provided data about the probability of serious vaccine injury are placed alongside data about the probability of serious illness or death in the unvaccinated who catch Covid, and explained clearly.

Missense, Snow Leopard, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am concerned about the lack of recognition of serious effects on a significant number of people who took the vaccine. It felt as if there was a deliberate policy of refusing to admit that a negative reaction was a result of the vaccine, and people were strongly encouraged to continue with the vaccination programme.
    I speak from personal experience: I took 3 vaccines and two out of three caused me significant problems.

I found it very difficult to report the problem via the yellow card system although after great efforts I succeeded in getting a code number. There has been no follow up.

This does not seem to be a fair way to establish the risks and benefits of the vaccine programme, so as to enable people's consent to be fully informed. Nor do we know that those who have been severely impacted have been / will be fully cared for, treated and compensated if necessary.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are always going to be adverse reactions to vaccines no matter which vaccine it is. It has always been that way. The difference this time is that with covid, everyone around the world is being vaccinated at the same time so it is much more noticeable the number of us getting adverse reactions all within the same time frame. However, I'm betting that the total number of us is probably very low percentage wise and probably no different than with any other vaccine.

I'm one of those people who has been fighting with adverse reactions for the past 16 months, however, I don't consider the vaccines a disaster. They have saved millions of lives and kept people off of ventilators in the ICU. It's true that for most of us with adverse reactions the medical system has been a complete failure and we are on our own to figure this out. Fortunately it seems a good percentage of us are eventually recovering even if it takes a year or more.

Hutan, Cheshire, Missense and 13 others like this.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's true that those of us with long term adverse reactions to the covid vaccine aren't being recognized or supported for the most part, however, adverse reactions happen with all vaccines. They can't stop vaccinating all people because a very small percentage of us will possibly have these reactions.

Hutan, Snow Leopard, Missense and 9 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Binkie4, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  10. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hah! I've managed to get past the paywall on that one. Result!

I also noticed that if you really want to you can sign up to a "We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest Covid-19 vaccines news every morning."

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    BBC: UK approves Moderna's Omicron Covid booster'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62548336

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2022
    Wits_End, DokaGirl, mango and 3 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

437 people tested for a national roll out ....
    Did these include pregnant women and others with health issues .....

Wits_End, Binkie4, DokaGirl and 10 others like this.
  13. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooh good. What level of effectiveness against symptomatic infection are the experts expecting from this?

DokaGirl, JemPD and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Constant messaging for the last year+: the pandemic is over, everything is back to normal, give the stinkeye to anyone still in need of protection.

Oh, yeah, people will definitely take their boosters now. Brilliant messaging, geniuses. Lower intakes of other vaccines has already started, and because the messaging has been so awful from medical authorities, the pandemic deniers are actually capitalizing on it and adding it to their nonsense about immunity debt and other nonsense about how the focus on one vaccine is, somehow, responsible for that.

The playbook of pandemics has been set alight, not a single principle has actually been followed, it's all lip service. But, sure, people will take their boosters for a virus that's "just a cold" now that the pandemic is over. Pffft.

Public health has been made ineffective for years because of the obsessive focus with managing perceptions and behaviors, instead of telling the plain truth. And right alongside concurrent pandemics, because it would only be half the disaster it is if the spread of not just one but two viruses had not been enabled by disastrous mishandling.

Amw66, oldtimer, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  15. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Already out of date before it’s even launched. That strain of Omicron is superseded by others.

Amw66, DokaGirl, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  16. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is not enough people to approve for a population release. I know full well they didn't try it on severe long haulers or ME/CFS sufferers or anyone that is already ill. A vaccine for a disease that no longer circulates that has been gone for 7 months and we are now 3 variants down the line and maybe a fourth before we get it! I am not sure I am going to take PEM to get this like I did all the other shots, I am not seeing the point.

Peter Trewhitt, DokaGirl and JemPD like this.
  18. Trish

I think it's a good idea. Better a vaccine against more recent versions of the virus than one that was much more different to current variants from 2 years ago. It's like they do with flu vaccine - use the most recent variants they can.

I do understand the dilemma for people who have reacted badly to previous versions, and each person will need to make their own decision on the balance of risk for them.

19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will take the vaccine if I get a home visit.

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  20. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

50+ age group only alongside those classified clinically vulnerable by the JVCI, ME/CFS patients weren't included in that before so I doubt they are now.