Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Covid vaccine compensation demanded by hundreds as BioNTech hit by lawsuits in Germany

Covid vaccine compensation demanded by hundreds as BioNTech hit by lawsuits in Germany (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2023
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tragic News: Actress Succumbs to Assisted Suicide Following Covid-19 Booster Injuries

Pavelek was diagnosed with an incurable chronic neurological illness known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a long-term illness with a wide range of symptoms that affects daily activities. At times, this condition may confine people to their beds. ME/CFS can worsen if individuals with this illness overwork themselves. The model was also suspected to have respiratory ALS, a neurodegenerative disorder that weakens the muscles involved in breathing and swallowing.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ss-succumbs-assisted-suicide-following-covid/

duncan and Binkie4 like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...Hm2Bhh-ZumkqHgM8TJkZPqOGGUfn-vO2YjPUMLrQTT25M

In the Telegraph today
    Joe Biden launched ‘Orwellian Ministry of Truth’ to shut down Covid dissent, judge says
    Court backs claims Biden administration had engaged in a ‘massive’ attempt to stop Americans questioning the efficacy of vaccines online.

"The ruling came after it was revealed last month that UK ministers set up a counter-disinformation unit which was used to target lockdown critics and those questioning the mass vaccination of children.

The UK Government used an artificial intelligence firm to monitor social media sites and flag opposition to vaccine passports."

There is a paywall but it costs nothing to subscribe for the next month and 50p per month for the following two months. Thereafter it is £14.99 per month but subscriptions can be cancelled at any time.

4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ICMRA (International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities) statement on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines

This is not the only statement but the one most relevant to us:

Long COVID and vaccines
    Scientific evidence shows that infection with SARS-CoV-2 can lead to long COVID. This condition can lead to long-term organ damage (cardiovascular, metabolic, neurologic, gastrointestinal, renal, etc.) and even death several weeks or months after the initial symptoms of infection have resolved.

Several real-world data studies indicate that vaccinated people who are later infected with SARS-CoV-2 are less likely to report symptoms of long COVID than unvaccinated people. More research is needed to determine how common this is.

Some information circulating on social media has claimed that COVID-19 vaccines could be associated with long COVID. There has been no safety signal from the very large body of data held by international regulators suggesting that long COVID is a possible side effect of COVID-19 vaccination.

Ash, RedFox, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  5. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good for Biden. And well done to the UK’s counter-disinformation unit. You can’t promulgate dangerous nonsense online in a public health crisis any more than you can shout “fire” in a crowded theatre.

The Telegraph paywall is best defeated with archive.ph, by the way.

6. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study finds no increased risk of rare neurological events after covid vaccination
    https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/study-finds-no-increased-risk-of-rare-neurological-events-after-covid-vaccination/

Vaccine Damage Payments Act 1979
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2022-03-02/debates/CBFF32D7-C7DB-4225-843C-3BF8FAB1DDED/VaccineDamagePaymentsAct1979

Edited: Removed link to IMO conspiracy theory.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    Binkie4, RedFox, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. Binkie4

It's not always easy to differentiate between "dangerous nonsense" and the truth and it's in this space that we lived during the pandemic.

Reflecting on how this was handled and is being handled (covid hasn't disappeared) may produce an uncomfortable need to sit in two places that don't cohere well, for example a need to vaccinate widely but for the individual to give informed consent. How do we manage this? In the US it has been taken to the Courts with a focus on the abrogation of the First Amendment during the pandemic. In the UK Parliament has begun some debate see https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...47DD-A79C-4EFD10F10C2D/VaccinesPotentialHarms, but there has been considerable reluctance.
    Do we not need to reflect on these issues?

8. Shadrach Loom

I’d say not. Who wants to go down a rabbit hole concerning the exact meaning of informed consent in relation to Covid vaccines?

And the moderators would probably be uneasy about allowing this thread, or indeed this forum, to be somewhere in which posters were free to comment on the sanity and probity of Andrew Bridgen, whose comments in Parliament you link to.

9. Shadrach Loom

I’d also say that something has gone awry if people on S4ME are linking to stories on The Gateway Pundit, which is beyond just being fringe and firmly in the fake news camp.

10. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Gateway Pundit may be a fake news website but that actress did indeed commit suicide. She was from Slovakia so this news item popped up in my Google alerts days before others started posting it on S4ME because there was an article about it in the Hungarian-language media of the Hungarian minority in Slovakia (parameter.sk, which is a normal news site). I posted it in the regional thread.

That article references a Slovak article and you can also find the story on some of the most-read Slovak news sites, like sme.sk or aktuality.sk.

The latter two don't mention vaccines though, just the rest of the story and they all mention ME/CFS. However, that other Slovak article that the Hungarian language one used as source says she posted about the vaccine on her Instagram.

I wouldn't be surprised if some websites just didn't want to mention the vaccine part. We had a similar story here recently where a famous athlete recovered from cancer, which was newsworthy and widely reported, however, more serious websites didn't mention that he attributed his cancer to a covid vaccine. I think they just didn't want people to conclude that the vaccines may cause cancer. One can argue if full reporting is better or keeping a very scientific approach in order not to spread misinformation.

So all in all, my conclusion is that the Slovak actress's story is true and if it is not, then it must be some pretty big hoax, not your typical fake news that is easy to disprove quickly.

Ariel, Sean, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read that brief debate. It is basically just a short speech from MP, Andrew Bridgen, who was thrown out of his political party for spreading misinformation about the pandemic and vaccines. He spouts a lot of nonsense he has presumably believed from conspiracy websites, and is disagreed with by a government minister. End of debate. I doubt there were much more than the 3 people who spoke present.

We can by all means discuss real data, but there's no point giving a voice to people who have fallen down the conspiracy rabbit hole. Why would we want to contaminate discussion of real data about the relatively rare instances of people suffering severe symptoms after their vaccinations with this nonsense?

Edit: To clarify, this is my personal view, not a moderation team ruling.

Sean, livinglighter and RedFox like this.
  12. Shadrach Loom

I don’t doubt that the story is true or the actress attributed illness to vaccination. I just think that it’s bad practice to link to sites like that, rather than (say) the source you chose.

Ash, Wyva and Hutan like this.
  13. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure why on a gut level I find this position worrisome, but I do.

Binkie4 likes this.
  14. Mij

Katarina Pavelek said her goodbyes on her Instagram. It's truly sad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2023
    ukxmrv, Wyva and livinglighter like this.
  15. Binkie4

I agree.

16. Trish

That was a personal view, not a moderation team decision. If there is any moderation decision on what can and can't be discussed here, it will be labelled as a moderation message and in orange type. I apologise for not making that clear in my post. I'll amend it.

If someone wants to say why they think we should share, give credence to and discuss information not backed up by evidence from reputable sources, and/or personal experience of members, and instead spend time discussing unevidenced claims derived from conspiracists, please do share your point of view.

Edited to fix incomplete quote.

Ash, Sean and livinglighter like this.
  17. Binkie4

I found this sad too.
    I did look up respiratory ALS, which she described as "suspected".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALS
    "Motor neuron loss continues until the ability to eat, speak, move, and finally the ability to breathe is lost.[3]"

I wonder how much this was involved.

Ash, livinglighter, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mij

From the link Binkie4 posted:

Differential diagnosis[edit]
    Because symptoms of ALS can be similar to those of a wide variety of other, more treatable diseases or disorders, appropriate tests must be conducted to exclude the possibility of other conditions.

Sean and Binkie4 like this.
  19. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not want to comment on anyone's sanity but there is mention about financial ties to Bill Gates which IMO sounds like a conspiracy theory..... I didn't see that.

The vaccine fund discussion is of interest though because I have heard some people attribute ME-like illnesses as a result of taking a vaccine. So perhaps this is what people also mean when they say vaccine triggered Long Covid.

EDIT: I'm removing the link from my post.

20. Trish

Moderator note
    Please respect individuals' and their families' privacy by not speculating about the details of their health including diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, prognosis etc, or about other personal information.

Ash, Sean and Hutan like this.