Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Live-attenuated virus vaccine defective in RNAi suppression includes rapid protection in neonatal and adult mice lacking mature B and T cells

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2321170121

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2024/04/15/vaccine-breakthrough-means-no-more-chasing-strains

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Mij

Novavax Prepared to Deliver Protein-based Non-mRNA JN.1 COVID-19 Vaccine in Line with WHO Recommendation this Fall

LINK

3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @MeSci. Salary duly corrected. I wrote it during the night after a completely sleepless night. It was also hard to read- so many photos breaking up the text.

Thank you for the Guardian link. There are one or two interesting articles about executive pay.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and MeSci like this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some weeks ago I was curious to know the highest cause of death in each state of the US. I found the 2021 statistics.

1st and 2nd were mainly cancer or heart disease. 3rd was Covid 19 in the majority of states except for 3 or 4 states from memory. Flu and pneumonia were way down the list.

I'd be interested to see the latest statistics.

alktipping, Binkie4, Mij and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

New research, led by University of Cambridge investigators, shows they have developed a new vaccine technology that provides a broad range of protection against coronaviruses, even those that don’t yet exist. This approach to vaccine development is called “proactive vaccinology,” which seeks to build disease-fighting immunity before some pathogens emerge.

LiNK

Proactive vaccination using multiviral Quartet Nanocages to elicit broad anti-coronavirus responses

LINK

7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

@Binkie4 (thank you!) posted a link to an interesting post by Hilda Bastian titled “When Will We Get a Sterilizing Covid Vaccine?”

I hadn't been following the Covid vaccine research and didn't know about sterilizing vaccines, and still don't, but the idea seems to be that it would be possible to have a vaccine that totally prevents infection by allowing an immune response at the site of infection that completely prevents the virus from replicating, and for Covid, it would have to work on the mucosa, because that's the site of infection for Covid. (I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this stuff, which I expect I am :) ).

I'm wondering if this vaccine offers real and near-future hope to those PwME who continue to shield because of the risk of Covid worsening their ME.

What do the mighty brains on the forum think of the possibilities that Hilda Bastian discusses?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2024
    RedFox, Ariel, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"When will we get a sterilizing Covid vaccine?"

Most likely well before Cochrane take any positive action on their review of exercise for CFS....

9. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering whether the thread was about sneaking something into the vaccines that prevents certain groups of humans from having babies. I expect there have been conspiracy theories about that since vaccines were invented.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are PwME eligible for the spring booster Covid vaccine in the UK?

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was called for mine three weeks ago, but only because I'm listed as high risk due to a medication that causes neutropenia. I think pwME would need their GPs to provide it/prescribe it, otherwise they're not very likely to get it.

It seems crazy that the restrictions get tighter and tighter every season. Last winter's booster was available to everyone who was over 65 or due to turn 65 during the year—now it's 75 and older. It's as if Long Covid isn't happening.

alktipping, Mij, Ash and 7 others like this.
  14. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nor the ongoing deaths from acute COVID-19, and complications.

All seems to of been seamlessly blended in with all the other less novel ways in which we’re stripped of our health and our lives, that those doing the stripping would prefer to invisiblise.

alktipping, Sean, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  15. Mij

Hand washing has become the priority to prevent airborne COVID.

16. Mij

"FLiRT" COVID variants are now more than a third of U.S cases. Scientists share what we know about them so far.

The strain also does not have large amounts of worrying changes, unlike some previously highly-mutated variants that have raised alarm in years past.

However, the swift change in circulating variants has resulted in the Food and Drug Administration this week delaying a key step in its process for picking out the strain to target with this fall's COVID-19 vaccines, citing the need for more "up-to-date" data.

LINK

Kitty, alktipping, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mij

Waste water levels in my area are very low so I'm skipping the spring vaccine. I'll get both the flu and Covid jabs in the fall.

Kitty, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I'm just too foggy, but I can't see the logic or connection...

Kitty, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. Mij

What I meant was that measuring wastewater levels are a good indicator to monitoring Covid and other illnesses. The levels here are very low so I don't feel the need for a spring Covid vaccine. At this time I don't want to go the pharmacy to get the same type of variant Covid vaccine I got last December. I'll wait until flu season in the fall and get both Covid and flu vaccine at the same time when the new variants are being targeted.

I'll keep masking though.

Sean, Kitty, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the same problem, interpreting this as the actual quantity of waste water rather than Covid marker levels in the waste water. I had an image of shallow sewage ponds. Now all makes sense.

Sean, Kitty, alktipping and 3 others like this.