Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the laugh, @Andy!

I do hope we get a sterilizing vaccine in my lifetime, in all seriousness. I can't afford to get it again so I am still shielding or whatever we might want to call that now! If anyone has any good or hopeful news, I'd love to hear it!

Sean, alktipping, mango and 2 others like this.
  2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Repeat COVID-19 vaccinations elicit antibodies that neutralize variants, other viruses

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/rep...odies-that-neutralize-variants-other-viruses/

3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Dutch study has found that there has been a rise in excess deaths since the pandemic which may have been caused by the vaccines. "Researchers from The Netherlands analysed data from 47 Western countries and discovered there had been more than three million excess deaths since 2020, with the trend continuing despite the rollout of vaccines and containment measures."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...s-may-have-helped-fuel-rise-in-excess-deaths/

"Writing in the BMJ Public Health, the authors from Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, said: “Although Covid-19 vaccines were provided to guard civilians from suffering morbidity and mortality by the Covid-19 virus, suspected adverse events have been documented as well.

“Both medical professionals and citizens have reported serious injuries and deaths following vaccination to various official databases in the Western World.”

"Researchers said the figure included deaths from Covid-19, but also the “indirect effects of the health strategies to address the virus spread and infection”.

They warned that side effects linked to the Covid vaccine had included ischaemic stroke, acute coronary syndrome and brain haemorrhage, cardiovascular diseases, coagulation, haemorrhages, gastrointestinal events and blood clotting."

"However, more recent data regarding side-effects has not been made available to the public, with countries keeping their own individual databases of harms, which rely on self-reporting by the public and doctors, the experts warned."

Other causes of excess deaths
    include delay in reporting symptoms.

"Gordon Wishart, chief medical officer at Check4Cancer, and visiting professor of cancer surgery at Anglia Ruskin University, warned repeatedly that delaying cancer diagnosis would lead to deaths.

“It was predicted early in the lockdown period that limited access to healthcare for non-Covid conditions would lead to delays in the diagnosis and treatment of time-critical conditions such as cancer, cardiac disease, diabetes and dementia and that this would lead to excess deaths from these conditions,” he said.

Speaking about the potential for vaccine harm, Mr Wishart added: “The authors are correct to point out that many vaccine-related serious adverse events may have been unreported, and point to the fact that the simultaneous onset of excess mortality and Covid vaccination in Germany is worthy of further investigation on its own.

“The paper provides more questions than answers but, it is hard to disagree with their conclusion that further analysis is required to understand the underlying causes of excess mortality to better prepare for the future management of pandemic crises”

4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't had any covid vaccine yet but I can't go on self-isolating forever, obviously. Looks like the breaking point for me is coming up in a few months' time, so I'm trying to find out what the best current advice/knowledge is regarding how many shots and how far between them, and how long for it to become fully effective, for a "first-timer".

Are there any recently published facts or scientific studies? Can you please help me find the latest and most reliable facts about this, please?

On the Public Health Agency of Sweden's website it says that "since autumn 2023, primary vaccination with Comirnaty or Nuvaxovid includes only 1 dose for everyone who is not immunocompromised". (Sadly, I no longer see them as a trustworthy source of facts or information though, because of how incredibly badly they have handled things so far throughout the pandemic.)

(Edited to fix spelling mistakes.)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here are a couple of articles about the combination COVID and flu vaccine from Moderna.

From The Conversation:
    Results are looking promising for a combined COVID and flu vaccine. Here’s how it could benefit public health

https://theconversation.com/results...res-how-it-could-benefit-public-health-232278

From The Washington Post:
    What to know about Moderna’s combined covid-flu vaccine on the horizon

Regular link = https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/06/10/covid-flu-combined-vaccine-moderna/

Gift link = https://wapo.st/3z2XCTr
    EDIT: I guess the two quote sections are kind of repetitive ...

6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See takedown in https://christinapagel.substack.com/p/guest-post-a-terrible-academic-paper

Lou B Lou, forestglip, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Using mRNA vaccines for Flu is a step backwards in my opinion. Hopefully the clinical trials of the "universal" stalk-region influenza vaccine are successful and renders it all moot.

The stalk region vaccine also has strong safety advantages (it won't trigger GBS for example) too.

An mRNA influenza vaccine has small but real risks of immune thrombocytopenia...

8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting the Substack link @SNT Gatchaman. It clarifies that

"Anyone trying to suggest that vaccines are the cause, or even part of the cause, for excess deaths needs to explain why the most excess deaths are in the least vaccinated countries and vice versa."

It does also acknowledge that "There have of course been people harmed by side effects of Covid vaccines, and some have sadly died. But the scale is orders of magnitude lower."

It suggests the BMJ article should never have been posted at all.

Lou B Lou, forestglip, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Novavax Submits Application to U.S. FDA for Updated Protein-based 2024-2025 Formula COVID-19 Vaccine
    • Novavax's updated JN.1 COVID-19 vaccine is active against current circulating strains, including KP.2 and KP.3
    • Novavax's JN.1 COVID-19 vaccine would be the only protein-based option available in the U.S.
    • Novavax's filing is aligned with FDA, EMA and WHO global recommendations on vaccine composition
    • Novavax intends to have its vaccine in pre-filled syringes available in the U.S. for immediate release post-authorization and following recommendation by the U.S. CDC
    LINK

10. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and forestglip like this.
  11. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Retraction Watch: 'Expression of concern coming for paper some used to link COVID-19 vaccines to deaths'
    BMJ Expression of concern:
    "The integrity team and editors are investigating issues raised regarding the quality and messaging of this work. The Princess Máxima Centre, which is listed as the affiliation of three of the four authors, is also investigating the scientific quality of this study.1 The integrity team has contacted the institution regarding their investigation.

Readers should also be alerted to misreporting and misunderstanding of the work. It has been claimed that the work implies a direct causal link between COVID-19 vaccination and mortality. This study does not establish any such link. The researchers looked only at trends in excess mortality over time, not its causes. The research does not support the claim that vaccines are a major contributory factor to excess deaths since the start of the pandemic. Vaccines have, in fact, been instrumental in reducing the severe illness and death associated with COVID-19 infection."

Lou B Lou, Wits_End, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  12. Mij

Finland to start bird flu vaccinations for humans in world first

"The vaccine will be offered to those aged 18 or over who are at increased risk of contracting avian influenza due to their work or other circumstances," the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) said in a statement.

The H5N1 strain of bird flu has killed or caused the culling of hundreds of millions of poultry globally in recent years and has increasingly been spreading to mammals, including cows in the United States and, in some cases, also to humans.

LINK

13. Mij

Covid-10 vaccines and adverse events of special interest: A multinational Global Vaccine Data Network(GVDN) cohort study of 99 million vaccinated individuals

LINK

Peter Trewhitt and Yann04 like this.
  14. horton6

horton6 Established Member (Voting Rights)