Eccentric medium spiny neuron (eMSN)

I've written a blog post that summarizes some of the findings on cell type and tissue enrichment that have been posted on the forum. It also zooms in on (eccentric) medium spiny neurons. Hope I've managed to do this with sufficient caveats.
 
I've written a blog post that summarizes some of the findings on cell type and tissue enrichment that have been posted on the forum. It also zooms in on (eccentric) medium spiny neurons. Hope I've managed to do this with sufficient caveats.
Great work, and very interesting. I like the picture of the medium spiny rodent.

I think intratelencephalic neurons were also one of the top cell types in the MAGMA analyses, and I think some of these neurons connect cortex to striatum, so that might be the reason they were also near the top. So maybe the rough idea would be that the connection between the neurons in the cortex and the neurons in the striatum is impaired, thus the cortical neurons (intratelencephalic) and the striatal neurons (MSNs) are most implicated in the analyses.

Couple typos I spotted:

add "the"
Trafalmadorian97 also applied the DecodeME data to [the] analysis pipeline of Finucane et al

Should "are" be "is the", with "neurons" singular?
the top cell type are (eccentric) medium spiny neurons
 
I've written a blog post that summarizes some of the findings on cell type and tissue enrichment that have been posted on the forum. It also zooms in on (eccentric) medium spiny neurons. Hope I've managed to do this with sufficient caveats.
This is amazing.
 
I think intratelencephalic neurons were also one of the top cell types in the MAGMA analyses, and I think some of these neurons connect cortex to striatum, so that might be the reason they were also near the top. So maybe the rough idea would be that the connection between the neurons in the cortex and the neurons in the striatum is impaired, thus the cortical neurons (intratelencephalic) and the striatal neurons (MSNs) are most implicated in the analyses.
Yes my guess would be that it points to a neuronal network involving the striatum and other brain regions.

The results for fibromyalgia look similar so I suspect it's picking up on a more general signal rather than something specific to (a subgroup within) ME/CFS.

Perhaps others have a more fitting explanation but my first guess is that this points to the brain networks that generate our experience of symptoms like fatigue and malaise. Perhaps we need more experiments on what neurons activate during infection in lab animals.

I think Chaudhuri and Behan's hypothesis make sense that the same network that is crucial in initiating actions like movement and decision making is probably involved in the experience of fatigue.
 
@ME/CFS Science Blog.

The blog is superb.

Just a typo - it is MIchael rather than Mark Snyder.
Thanks! I wonder what you make of the hypothesis by Chaudhuri and Behan about central fatigue being generated by a striatal-thalamic prefrontal cortex network.

Made a thread about their papers here:
 
I think Chaudri and Behan's idea is generally plausible but I don't see any special insight into how it would work beyond vague ideas of some neurons doing a bit too much or not enough. I also think the bundling together of fatigue in Parkinson's, MS and 'CFS' is unhelpful. What we need is an explanation for why an apparently entirely structurally normal brain in ME/CFS should set up this 'central fatigue' routine. It must be something quite specific and not the same as PD or MS.

And of course MS does not come up the same way on the gene analysis. It is all immune cells. Nor does PD.

I think they may have had a point about 'where to look' but I am not impressed that they have told us what we might find.
 
What we need is an explanation for why an apparently entirely structurally normal brain in ME/CFS should set up this 'central fatigue' routine. It must be something quite specific and not the same as PD or MS.
Couldn't it be as straightforward as PD and MS having a different pathology that activates the central fatigue pathway, while ME/CFS might not. So in the latter the pathology might be in the neural network itself?
 
Couldn't it be as straightforward as PD and MS having a different pathology that activates the central fatigue pathway, while ME/CFS might not. So in the latter the pathology might be in the neural network itself?
I really think this idea that MECFS pathology is totally brain based is not the occams razor type approach people seem to think it is. you have to ignore one of the most significant gene hits in DecodeME in BTN2A1 (now somewhat replicated) and the possible interferon connections of OMLF4, the immune activation symptoms many people get when they crash - runny noses, swollen lymph nodes etc.

You have to ignore the Ryback, Mensah, Cliff, Missalidis studies, the Cambridge uni teams IFNy finding in Long Covid, be absolutely certain daratumumab does nothing (it may do but its far to soon to dismiss it), conpletely dismiss the cyclo studies, etc etc.

I think it's great we're looking at the brain and I would be the first to dismiss anyone who insisted on an 'immune only' pathology that doesn't affect the brain/CNS, but I worry that we're dismissing quite significant evidence of ongoing immune involvement offhandedly. I know the tissue data for MECFS points only toward brain and thats puzzling when compared to MS etc but when something like BTN2A1 is expressed across all tissue types surely that means we shouldn't rely too heavily on that result?

I'm not saying brain only is impossible. I'm just not sure it's the most logical conclusion from the evidence we have. But of course I have to acknowledge my bias to wanting a better understood pathology...
 
Couldn't it be as straightforward as PD and MS having a different pathology that activates the central fatigue pathway, while ME/CFS might not. So in the latter the pathology might be in the neural network itself?

Yes, but that begs the question as to what is different about the network's function and maybe structure. It would be something that is not common to PD and MS. We are left with the classic cartoon saying 'at this point something magical happens'.
 
I really think this idea that MECFS pathology is totally brain based is not the occams razor type approach people seem to think it is
Thanks, would be good to have more discussion about this and an overview of arguments pro and contra. I've tried to reply to your points below.

you have to ignore one of the most significant gene hits in DecodeME in BTN2A1 (now somewhat replicated) and the possible interferon connections of OMLF4, the immune activation symptoms many people get when they crash - runny noses, swollen lymph nodes etc.
BTN2A1 also featured prominently in GWAS on anxiety (see here and here) while OMFL4 was one of the pleiotropic genes associated with multiple neuropsychiatric traits such as ADHD, schizophrenia, depression, and autism. So instead of ignoring these hits, the idea is that they show up because of a brain-related rather than immune function. This would fit much better with all the other signals in DecodeME.

You have to ignore the Ryback, Mensah, Cliff, Missalidis studies, the Cambridge uni teams IFNy finding in Long Covid, be absolutely certain daratumumab does nothing (it may do but its far to soon to dismiss it), conpletely dismiss the cyclo studies, etc etc.
This has been discussed in depth elsewhere but most of these studies actually found no (clear) sign of immune involvement. I've recently summarised the evidence on the immune system in ME/CFS in this article and there was very little to go on.

Daratumumap and cyclophosphamide were open label studies and the Rituximab saga showed has misleading these can be. Unfortunately, there's almost no scientific justification of why these treatment would work in ME/CFS other than anecdotal reports.

So, there isn't anything to ignore or dismiss. Other than ME/CFS often having an infectious trigger there's almost no convincing evidence of immune involvement. If there was a reliable immune lead we would be all over it and analyse its implications in detail. But there's very little to play with...

I'm not saying brain only is impossible. I'm just not sure it's the most logical conclusion from the evidence we have. But of course I have to acknowledge my bias to wanting a better understood pathology...
Think this is an important point because I feel like the entire ME/CFS field seems to have this bias.

Currently, almost nobody seems to be taking the neuronal pathology hypothesis seriously. Everyone is looking in another direction: viral persistence, autoantibodies, blood cloths, mitochondrial damage, endothelial dysfunction, muscle damage, cerebral blood flow, intracranial pressure, complement activation, trained immunity, craniocervical instability, metabolic traps. It almost looks like everything is being considered except what the genetic evidence points to!

Even the people doing brain scan studies and autopsies are talking about neuroinflammation when their own studies show the opposite. The DecodeME preprint also tried to highlight immune findings (gene mutations that weaken the immune response to infections) while the data do not point in this direction.

So I feel like there's a strong bias in the field where people expect an immune or metabolic pathology and try to fit their data into this perspective. It probably also plays a role that a focus on the brain has been associated with bogus psychosomatic theories. But the proper response would be to ignore this, not try to form a counter-response.

To clarify: I think multiple lines of research need to be explored and these genetic findings (or my interpretation of them) may certainly be flawed. But the balance now seems quite off. I think the genetic pointer to neurons is the most valuable ME/CFS lead we have at the moment.
 
Yes, but that begs the question as to what is different about the network's function and maybe structure. It would be something that is not common to PD and MS. We are left with the classic cartoon saying 'at this point something magical happens'.
Except that we might now have a good indication of where the magic is happening and what we need to investigate to understand how it works.
 
Currently, almost nobody seems to be taking the neuronal pathology hypothesis seriously.

Except of course James and Alex at UCL!

Except that we might now have a good indication of where the magic is happening and what we need to investigate to understand how it works.

Absolutely.

My thought for today is that it is all about synaptic re-tuning and involves phosphoinositol, sphingomyelin and ceramide - leading to eccentric medium spiny neurons weighting outputs this way rather than that.

I have no substantive evidence though!
 
This has been discussed in depth elsewhere but most of these studies actually found no (clear) sign of immune involvement.
I dont think this is what the threads on any of those particular studies say. They say 'this study is interesting, lets see if it replicates'.


BTN2A1 also featured prominently in GWAS on anxiety (see here and here)
Wasn't aware of this. But I think it's dangerous to immediately assume its brain only when it could be an incredibly important immune lead and all I'm hearing since DecodeME is neurons this neurons that.

What about the idea that it shows up because it is a crucial part of an immune brain interfacing pathology?

So, there isn't anything to ignore or dismiss
You are doing it right now. You are dismissing interesting leads and promising trial data because they don't fit your hypothesis.



Everyone is looking in another direction: viral persistence, autoantibodies, blood cloths, mitochondrial damage, endothelial dysfunction, muscle damage, cerebral blood flow, intracranial pressure, complement activation, trained immunity, craniocervical instability, metabolic traps. It almost looks like everything is being considered except what the genetic evidence points to!
You have concluded the genetic evidence is all brain but it isn't necessarily so. It can be interpreted that way but it can be interpreted other ways too. We have discussed many of them in the individual DecodeME gene threads.

Also the idea that thinking there is likely an immune brain loop is on the same level as believing in CCI is a bit patronising.



I think the genetic pointer to neurons is the most valuable ME/CFS lead we have at the moment.
What precicely do we do with it now then? What treatments do we try? What studies do we do? I presume the end goal is still successfully treating people not just solving the puzzle. Because the brain only hypothesis is incredibly daunting to people like me, to whom the prospect of even another couple of years like this is unfathomable. It would be good to know what its proponents envisage doing to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, there's almost no scientific justification of why these treatment would work in ME/CFS other than anecdotal reports.
Apart from all the lengthy discussion we've had on here about precicely how it could be working through CD38s effects on various immune cells.


Daratumumap and cyclophosphamide were open label studies and the Rituximab saga showed has misleading these can be.
I am not certain dara works but the data are more promising than rituximab, and both it and cyclophosphamide seemed to put people into remission. What is the likelyhood of that many people going into prolonged remission in studies done by meticulous MECFS researchers just randomly? Whatever the cause, it certainly doesn't seem to happen in brain diseases.



You may be right, I'm not dismissing the possibility. But I still think it's necessary to dismiss a good few interesting basic science studies and much of the clinical picture to come to the conclusions you have.
 
I generally agree with @ME/CFS Science Blog. But I think @V.R.T. raised a good point with the clinical presentation
the immune activation symptoms many people get when they crash - runny noses, swollen lymph nodes etc.
I think I said this before and dont want to derail this thread any further, but I experience symptoms like this in addition to post nasal drip, burning mouth and tongue plus trigeminal pain. I just cant square how this should be solely brain related.

I also dont want to be biased and be open to the evidence that comes up, but this is exactly the question that keeps me up at night given my personal experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom