George Monbiot on ME/CFS, PACE, BPS and Long Covid

I can understand the anger and frustration with the current situation, and the viewpoint that nothing will change, but I don't agree with that particular view. History gives us plenty of examples where quite extreme changes have happened that were previously thought unthinkable - not just changes in how society viewed a particular illness but massive changes in how society itself was ordered.

So change can happen, and I believe in the case of ME/CFS it will happen once there is sufficient scientific evidence for the mechanism, or mechanisms, that lie behind ME/CFS, and enough use has been made of that evidence to convince a critical mass of both the public and those inside the system.

Just like with other illnesses where work has been needed on how they are viewed and treated, it is inherently unfair that most of that work will be born by patients, carers, charities, and supporters, and I believe a fair argument can be made that the peculiarities of ME/CFS make this even more unfair for ME/CFS patients than for those with other illnesses.

Progress has been made, as has already been noted in this thread George's latest article would have been very unlikely to be seen in 'print' not that long ago, and those who are able to just need to continue that work in whatever way we can.
 
I agree with Andy. Things have been shifting slowly for a long time. At some stage, perhaps not too far away, we will reach a tipping point when things could start to change very quickly.

I’m reminded of Hemingway’s quote from The Sun Also Rises:

“How did you go bankrupt?"​
Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”​
 
Back
Top Bottom