1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

George Monbiot on ME/CFS, PACE, BPS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 8, 2021.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If writing about something caused more of it to happen, then why do we still have ME? Surely the huge number of pro BPS articles on this disease, and how to fix it would have caused it to be eradicated it by now.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. It's been maligned and mocked for decades, doctors openly insult us because it's seen as OK and good, one of the last acceptable bigotries. And yet the numbers keep rising, as best as we can tell. Which may be incorrect, if only we had better research to tell otherwise. Nevertheless, still very present in numbers that completely invalidate the cultural illness thing.

Also on the same effect with Long Covid, deniers are massively exaggerating the extent of coverage. Ask random people and guaranteed that less than 5% had even heard of it, or at least through news media. And of course it basically violates the linear passage of time for those who got it in the first few months, when only we were talking about it.

Only shows that facts have been entirely irrelevant in the systemic denial of chronic illness. It's just people shouting their opinions and the system completely failing in its obligations in response.

3. rvallee

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 31 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely the situation is much worse. If writing about illness causes it then all the papers by liaison psychiatrists and their trials and grant applications and press releases must have been the cause of ME. They must have invented and caused the disease. Not that they did but that would be their hypothesis.

Jobs for the boys and girls.

janice, TrixieStix, Louie41 and 35 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A friend of mine just sent me a link to the article knowing I'd be interested, and said that a friend of hers diagnosed with ME/CFS post-Covid has been prescribed GET.

How can we stop this unfolding disaster for post-Covid patients?

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But they do the responsible thing of putting a positive spin on their results. For the good of patients.

7. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's very odd. I can't imagine any of these BPS guys coming out claiming depression is perpetuated by articles written about depression or by depression support groups. With regards to psychiatric conditions they seem perfectly content with stating more awareness is better and important. Since they think ME/CFS has a significant psychological component, wouldn't it be consistent for them to treat it with the same severity as depression? This twisted logic of awareness making an illness worse only works for poorly understood conditions apparently.

janice, Kirsten, Louie41 and 31 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Something about "protesting too much" comes to mind. If there is a shred of credible evidence that ME is physical, then opponents feel compelled to fight back, with whatever means available...

Although, there is evidence that depression has physical causes. Not an expert in this, and don't know where this stands. But it's awful to be blamed for being depressed when it's a chemical imbalance, let's say.

Would be interesting to read how physical diseases, such as asthma, previously labeled psychosomatic, came to be accepted as physical. I know about breathing tests, charts etc.
    But how were unscientific arguments overcome? The powers that be gave up on rejecting asthma as a psychological disease? They decided they couldn't win that one? Moved on?
    Something about "don't confuse me with the facts" also comes to mind.

9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're in the European Union so bear in mind there's been some lobbying there too e.g. check out this facebook group and tis website
    #MEAction European Union (EU)

https://europeanmecoalition.com/

10. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I think it has been mentioned here previously that Wessely has talked about the dangers of too much awareness (I think in the context of overdiagnosing life events as depression)?

11. rvallee

12. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frederick Woolf, MD basically said the same thing about fibromyalgia diagnosis, that it created more problems giving patients a diagnostic label than keeping them in the dark.

He is still at it, denial denial denial, sociological drivel.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  13. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that was a great spot. Thank you. It also makes me wonder what other talks by BPS enthusiasts there might be out there that we’ve missed. The great thing about all these talks being online at the moment is that they can be easily accessed, recorded and shared. If only we had recordings of all the private talks over the past 30 years by SSW & Co.

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 22 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? Can't you? Are you sure?
    Simon Wessely: “Every time we have a mental health awareness week my spirits sink” https://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j4305

janice, Louie41, ukxmrv and 27 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow I went and read some of the comments underneath the guardian article and now feel really sad. Why are people like this? Why do they feel the need to say that there’s a psychological dimension to everything, it’s never going to be one or the other - I am seeing nocebo and placebo and healthy anxiety or conversion disorder mentioned? I didn’t realise so much of the population believed in this BPS stuff so wholeheartedly? And many of them are using the fact that Sharpe is a prof at Oxford while George Monbiot is not, to discredit further. :/

Edit: and there’s some people with ME on there saying positive thinking helped them. Sigh.

Edit 2: many of them are also missing the actual point of the article, about the trial and the flawed data that was withheld.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    janice, Sid, Louie41 and 27 others like this.
  16. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's interesting how this stuff about positive thinking curing or helping people isn't as prevalant in discussions about actual psychiatric conditions - because people with those conditions would find it offensive and patronising and unscientific. But with ME it's okay.

It's just so normalized to not take ME seriously and dismiss the people with it. Not an easy thing to fix

janice, Sid, Louie41 and 24 others like this.
  17. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michael sharpe has tweeted out his old “ME and the perils of internet activism” guardian article.

janice, Louie41, rainy and 11 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is a stretch to say that we are one of the more despised and abused minorities on the planet.
    Sadly, I think it is going to take some damage being done before the voice of protest from LC patients will be loud enough. :(

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 19 others like this.
  19. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who's going to be the one to tell U.S. NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci that he's a super-spreader of long Covid ?

Medscape Interview 7/17/20

janice, Louie41, Hutan and 21 others like this.
  20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. We're the modern day equivalent of lepers.

janice, Sid, Louie41 and 19 others like this.