George Monbiot on ME/CFS, PACE, BPS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:laugh:

janice, Louie41, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good work Tuller bringing this to Monbiot's attention!

And I think it was someone here who first posted that Sharpe criticising Monbiot like that could backfire on him? Good work that person too. I hadn't thought of that.

Looking back, I think that criticising journalists is routinely counter-productive, and that it's much better to praise those whose work is in the right direction. This goes against every instinct I have.

janice, Louie41, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone needs to take the Swiss Re logo and turn it into a Sharpe & Co Reassurance meme.

Louie41, sebaaa, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This might turn into a column in the Guardian

janice, Louie41, mango and 27 others like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 27 others like this.
  6. Robert 1973

janice, Louie41, mango and 28 others like this.
  7. Esther12

The 'Guardian pick' of the comments show what needs to be avoided.

Okay, I missed the true star of this story. Time to hide behind the sick role and blame the brain fog?!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PACE being OK - Wow --- hasn't she listened to any of the academics who now teach i.e. how not to do research?

Louie41, Kitty, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  9. Robert 1973

Standing on the shoulders of giants like @dave30th!

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 46 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fantastic. You literally couldn't buy that kind of coverage.

Prof. Sharpe may consider himself the "only show" in town but he's certainly provided a lot of interest. :thumbup:

12. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wowza. To think only two years ago, The Times hosted that silly public pity party about Sharpe being forced out of research because a couple of people said mean things about him on Twitter, and now this.

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 25 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I know, all of this must mean that he's been forced out of the country now surely??? ;)

janice, Louie41, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  14. EzzieD

LOL, if only! (But we have to feel sorry for the ME or LC sufferers in whatever country he lands up in.)

Louie41, alktipping, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it was in the responses to that interview that George Monbiot asked why patients wouldn't want research on their illness, and if my memory serves me which it often doesn't now, it was in March 2019. It generated a lot of discussion in the comments and a couple of us responded to George's question. Wow!

16. EzzieD

Yes! It was March 2019. I was one of the ones who responded to George's question! So glad he took up the cause, he seems a really good guy.

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The poor man, I would hope that his employers decide a fishing trip is due.

I hear that the Sea of Tranquility is free from pwME, reporters, other critics, and other annoyances, like fish.

..quiet and peaceful.

of course those who believe in science may point out that there is very little atmosphere there, but I'm sure that such a renowned expert, who believes that the mind can overrule any pesky 'physical' symptoms won't have any problems.

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 13 others like this.
  18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I responded too, posted here somewhere. I remember so clearly because I was in Venice celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary when I read it, and lay on the bed composing my response.
    That's one consequence of ME. You may struggle to do a very special thing like visit Venice and then have to spend lots of the time lying down so that you can do very little. It did mean a response to the article though.

janice, Louie41, cfsandmore and 21 others like this.
  19. Esther12

Some slight nervousness I have about this is that there are so many things about the pandemic and covid-19 infections that could lead to real fear/mental health problems/etc. Just because there's a history of these researchers making misleading or exaggerated claims about the importance of psychosocial factors causing post-viral symptoms in the past doesn't mean that they won't play a greater role this time (or that they played a role in PVFS in the past, but that research has just so far failed to find good evidence for this). I think that seeing how hard it has been to make progress even when we're 100% right makes me want to stay away from any area of uncertainty.

janice, Louie41, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be that this apparent publicity push from BPS advocates in relation to ME (possible timed to coincide with the new NICE guidelines) and in relation to ‘Long Covid’ may end up back firing?

(Added - Though obviously the Swiss Re talk is probably just part of Prof Sharpe’s ongoing relationship with the insurance industry. Hopefully publicity like this will lead them to consider more scientifically reliable speakers/advisors in relation to ME and ‘Long Covid’)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021