International: World Health Organization News (news relevant to ME/CFS, Long Covid and related conditions)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Simon M, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

on the WHO website:

'chronic fatigue'?

https://www.who.int/standards/classifications/frequently-asked-questions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt, Sean, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there should be a separate diagnosis for patients who suffer adverse reactions to exercise especially if they suffer LTSE.

Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Keyword infections, not people .
    My niece and nephew , now 13, have each had COVID 3 times.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2023
    Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Covid global health emergency is over, WHO says

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared that Covid-19 no longer represents a "global health emergency".

The statement represents a major step towards ending the pandemic and comes three years after it first declared its highest level of alert over the virus.

Officials said the virus' death rate had dropped from a peak of more than 100,000 people per week in January 2021 to just over 3,500 on 24 April.

The head of the WHO said at least seven million people died in the pandemic.

But Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the true figure was "likely" closer to 20 million deaths - nearly three times the official estimate - and he warned that the virus remained a significant threat.

"Yesterday, the Emergency Committee met for the 15th time and recommended to me that I declare an end to the public health emergency of international concern. I've accepted that advice. It's therefore with great hope that I declare COVID-19 over as a global health emergency," Dr Tedros said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65499929

babfe19edda67105776870cb4a3bcecf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2023
    alktipping, oldtimer, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Dx Revision Watch

Incidentally, in the numerous emails I exchanged over the years with the WHO's Dr Robert Jakob, he would frequently refer to the G93.3 and 8E49 categories as "chronic fatigue syndrome" and sometimes "chronic fatigue".

For a period of time, in the ICD-11 Alpha and Beta drafts, the proposal had been to replace "Postviral fatigue syndrome" with "Chronic fatigue syndrome" as the lead or "Title" term:

ICD-11 Alpha Draft, May 2010
    (proposed change of lead term):

[​IMG]

ICD-11 Alpha Draft:

Note the description texts below were later blanked for the Beta draft. There are still no description texts for any of the three 8E49 terms and no proposals have been publicly submitted from any quarter suggesting draft texts.

These texts below had been scraped from various US agency websites when the very earliest draft for ICD-11 was being put together:

[​IMG]

ICD-11 Beta draft, July 2012
    (no definition or description text from the launch of the Beta draft):

[​IMG]

In early 2013, that entry above was inexplicable removed from the Beta draft.

The G93.3 legacy categories were not restored until March 2017, when they were returned to their original location within the draft, with PVFS restored as the lead or "Title" term. This was stated to be a placeholder location until after the WHO's scientific review had been completed.

It's not known who authored this WHO webpage re "CFS".

As I said in my post in the other thread, there is no evidence in the Proposal Mechanism to support this statement:

"During the revision of ICD-11, a number of proposals were received arguing for the re-positioning of chronic fatigue syndrome from its current position to the Chapter 01: Certain infectious or parasitic diseases."

In June 2015, I had a phone call with Dr Jakob and a colleague. In this call, he said that there had been discussions about the potential for secondary parenting the 8E49 categories under another chapter (though he was at pains to stress, not under the MH chapter). But he was very slippery and would not be drawn on which chapter had been discussed as a potential secondary parent or who had made these suggestions, and through what channel.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    sebaaa, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  13. Hutan

In brief - this content is noncommittal but, to me, it doesn't look terrible. It doesn't sound as though the treatment of CFS has changed.

14. Dx Revision Watch

Sly Saint posted this WHO page in April (up thread, in post #124) and I commented on it in post #131:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/inter...d-related-conditions.16426/page-7#post-506393

and also commented in the Updates on status of ICD-11 and changes to other classification and terminology systems thread, in June:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-35#post-477789

15. Hutan

alktipping, Binkie4, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  16. Hutan

from a post elsewhere:

17. Hutan

from a post elsewhere, also about the Clinical Management of Covid-19: Living Guideline document
    a warning against GET

MEMarge, Trish, Sean and 5 others like this.