News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, my recollection is she said that she thought PACE was good (this may not have been the word she used but if not it's close) research. Next she made a comment about a prominent physician with long-COVID who initially was hesitant to exercise and wasn't recovering but then began to exercise and recovered.

Shortly after she was asked if she was familiar with the Workwell Foundation and their CPET research. She answered that no she wasn't and dismissed the comment with (I'll paraphrase from my memory) there are lots of things like that out there.

I don't think there was any ambiguity or room for misinterpretation in her comments.

These comments were all in response to questions so it's likely she hadn't planned on including them in the webinar. I'd have to question how you can do a presentation on long COVID without mentioning PEM or similarities with ME though?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's been threatening to block anyone who disagrees with her on twitter ever since she got involved with long-covid.

I also recall her reminding people that she's doing her long-covid work out of the goodness of her heart and that she will walk away from it if she gets criticised too much.

Edit:
    Screens.png

It looks like she has the same definition of 'abuse' as the PACE authors.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2021
    MEMarge, Kitty, brf and 15 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably that would be the person who indicated that an ability to undertake thirty minutes light exercise constituted "recovery".

Kitty, Sid, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, @Helene, I does sound like she really has no idea what she's talking about with 'fatigue' let alone ME/CFS. As you suggest, how can anyone be an 'expert' on long Covid without even attempting to learn about ME/CFS and PEM, and listening to patients with both. Anecodes from a few of her friends are not evidence.

MEMarge, Kitty, Woolie and 14 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that TG believes all the things Wessely has told her about patients. A small group of vocal militants with false and unhelpful beliefs about the illess, like the existence of PEM. PACE a very good trial, CBT/GET safe and effective, it's just again those nasty patients trying to tear it down for no good reason.

From this point of view, ME patients would be a harmful influence on LC patients.

MEMarge, Kitty, Woolie and 18 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hopefully TG will be able to learn and change her mind.

Kitty, Woolie, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The COVID Tracking Project - The "Good" Metric Is Pretty Bad: Why It's Hard to Count the People Who Have Recovered from COVID-19

In November, The Covid Tracking Project stopped reporting recovery figures for the United States as a whole, and today we are also removing many, though not all, of the state-level “recovered” values from our website.

... many people who have had COVID-19 and have lived to tell the tale—and who are often categorized as “recovered”—don’t consider themselves to have actually recovered. COVID-19 can have many long-term health consequences, and none of the definitions for counting people who have “recovered” from COVID-19 account for latent or ongoing health issues that can be caused by COVID-19.

ETA: There's also an article in the Atlantic
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1349822206000459776

Kitty, Woolie, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She is being given opportunities but has not yet responded.

Her defensive, I was 'set up' posturing as a victim does not portend well.

Kitty, leokitten, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

She wanted to shut down debate instead of allowing it.

Kitty, leokitten, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  10. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Correct.

Shinygleamy, Kitty, leokitten and 4 others like this.
  11. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I couldn't work out how to embed a retweet so I've taken a screenshot. Karim Khan retweeted part of Peter Whites commentary on the talk.

Attached Files:

JemPD, Kitty, brf and 7 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Dolphin

14. Dolphin

15. Dolphin

Kitty and Helene like this.
  16. Dolphin

17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from the debate
    Debbie Abrahams
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2021-01-14a.549.1&s=Chronic+Fatigue+Syndrome#g558.0

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2021
    Shinygleamy, Chezboo, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't find it, sorry. I thought I remembered the exact words but clearly not. Or maybe the term "out of scope" was in the BMJ article authored by Greenhalgh.

Searching for it however I noticed how numerous the references to "liaison psychiatry" are.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm getting the picture that she thought the talk was entirely on LC, despite ME being in the title. Either they did not communicate to her or she explicitly intended not to talk about any of it, which given the title is really odd.

Anyway at least this is something that $1.15B can crush easily so whatever, let's move on. Deniers will deny, it's what they do. It's sad that she is involved in LC but this was probably going to happen no matter what we do. There are billions in wasted spending and thousands on careers hinged on maintaining the denial, self-preservation is a powerful force.

Kitty, tmrw, alktipping and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.