News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Tom Kindlon

COVID-19 and Post Viral Fatigue: Growing Recognition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kWZEA6On9U

I haven't watched this video myself so far, but saw a few people praising it. I recall watching another of his videos a few weeks ago and for some reason thought he was a medical doctor, but that's not the case:

Anna H, MeSci, JaneL and 11 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have watched it.
    Good in parts but I wish he would make it clearer when he keeps talking about post viral fatigue, and then mixes with PVFS.

Best bit is around from 5 minutes in where he asks the question could post covid that goes on to pvf lead to chronic ME, and whether exercise could make that a possibility.

Around 8 mins talks about PEM.
    9.34 he is looking at the evidence and says he can't find a BMJ article quoted by Joan McParland ( couldn't read which one he is referring to), then goes on to talk about the PACE trial.
    Around 11.oo talks about activity management and having to budget energy, sleeping when you can.
    Concludes the best info is provided by the MEA and that people should REST themselves better, not try to exercise themselves to recovery.

Anna H, JaneL, merylg and 10 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am curious about the reports of T cell reduction in severe COVID-19 cases and the research into T cells in ME and how they might relate to each other.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.18.20024364v1
    I dont really believe in functional exhaustion and consider it is probably due to down- or dys- regulation of some kind, but something which sounds similar has cropped up in relation to ME.
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/immune-cell-metabolism-altered-me-cfs

We have also discussed a theoretical paper on ME and T cells by Sepúlveda et al.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/me-cf...erpesvirus-infections-2019-nacul-et-al.12025/

This paper draws on two cytokine papers which conclude that raised transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-β) is associated with ME/CFS.
    e.g. Montoya et al.
    https://www.pnas.org/content/114/34/E7150

I dont claim to be an expert or understand this properly and would welcome others input if they know more about this but going by the wiki, what little we know about T cells suggests TGF-β is involved in regulating T cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transforming_growth_factor_beta#T_lymphocytes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_helper_17_cell
    So it would appear that understanding T cell activity is important for both COVID-19 and ME research and this suggests that the two conditions could interact significantly but quite how remains unclear. My own experience of suspected COVID-19 was not life threatening so I am hopeful that PWME are not more at risk but I am not sure how COVID-19 might predispose people to getting an ME like condition.

My hope is T cells will be researched better because of their involvement in COVID-19 and that this will help with understanding ME as well and vice versa, that ME research into T cells can help with understanding COVID-19.

AliceLily, merylg, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched it. Much better than the first video, where he had confused some of the BPS research as being significant, rather than, you know, what killed the field for the last several decades. Frankly pretty good overall, though still clearly unaware of the decades of history and, especially, the current state of sabotage. The confusion is definitely normal given disinformation comes straight from trusted authorities. At one point I had no idea what role Sharpe had played and tweeted him that he could be a hero to us if he debunked this weird silliness, not knowing he was in on it. Oh, the naive first forays into this dystopian nightmare.

It really highlights the silliness of it all by referring to it as fatigue and listing a baker's dozen list of symptoms. What a mess this sabotage has made.

LOL at debunked PACE trial, but not clear he found out that it is both debunked while still the "proof" that ME is psychological and very much as influential as ever.

I noticed the MEAssociation has reached out to him and he gave them their email.

Really telling that he speaks of being at best at 20% of what he was, yet clearly has more energy and cognitive focus than I have had in years. I would nearly kill for this level of functioning. A mosquito or something. Maybe hundreds.

Anna H, Joh, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I watched it. Pretty good overall, and allowance does need to made for this issue being very much a work in progress.

He is somebody to keep onside and even reach out to.

COVID19 might be an opening for the BPS school, but it is also an opening for their critics.

Anna H, Forbin, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  8. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is actually quite good, especially for something produced by somebody who, presumably, has only been digging into the whole PVFS/ME/CFS murky mess for a few weeks. His previous video did have a few typical "beginner's mistakes", but this second one is much better, showing somebody who's a quick learner and also somebody who's prepared to listen and revise/refine his ideas.:thumbsup:

He hones into some key questions (see screenshot) and soon finds out that the answer to #1 is "stuff all", which necessarily means the answer to #2-3 is "we haven't got a clue". Maybe the planned OMF post-covid studies will finally shed a little overdue light on the relationship between virus, PVFS and ME.
    pvfs-me youtube screenshot.JPG

He also understands the delay factor in PEM and the importance of rest and staying within your individual activity limits, putting to shame the far too many people who purportedly have been working in the field for decades and who still don't get this. (Though it is good to see that there are still a number of doctors who advise their post-covid patients to rest lots, according to some of the reports in the video.)

I hope he recovers soon but doesn't forget his experience too quickly. It would be great if he would then use some of his newly recovered energy and obvious analytic skills to do a bit more digging into why we know as little as we do about PVFS/ME/CFS, and then use some of his equally obvious presentation skills to draw attention to the mess. But first of all, if you're reading this, maker of this video, try and get well!

Anna H, Forbin, AliceLily and 19 others like this.
  9. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who is the guy who made the video?

Anna H and Invisible Woman like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An opinion piece in the Swedish newspaper Expressen. It's written by Hege Magnusson, a nurse and administrator for the Facebook group Covid-19, Vi som är drabbade (Covid-19, we who suffer from it). The Facebook group has over 8 ooo members.
    She calls for the public health authority and other experts to recognise all the patients who are suffering at home with an incredible number of different symptoms. She says many have symptoms lingering even after 50-90 days.

She says people are complaining of symptoms as
    - Extreme fatigue
    - Sore throat coming and going
    - Severe headache, dizziness
    - Difficulty breathing, even though oxygenation is good
    - Pressure over chest, pain in lungs
    - Elevated temperature that goes into fever daily, many weeks in a row
    - Chills and hot flashes, without high temperature
    - Resting heart rate over 100, palpitations
    - Numbness
    - Blood clots
    - Pain in blood vessels, despite perfect blood tests
    - Confusion

Vi är tusentals som aldrig tycks bli friska - hjälp oss!
    google translation: We are thousands who never seem to recover - help us!

Anna H, StefanE, Forbin and 21 others like this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

12. Tom Kindlon

13. Tom Kindlon

The #MEAction Network
    https://t.co/rp1NzNiQrt?amp=1

Yessica, AliceLily, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yessica, Anna H, Forbin and 18 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Interesting:
    Technically this is not an ME study but it would likely qualify as the largest study on the disease to date. If the funding is truly adequate anyway. I would like to know more about that study, who is funding it and to what amount? Because the money can never be found when it comes to us, then suddenly it can be when it technically doesn't concern us but overlaps completely. Not exactly an optimal system you got there, chaps.
    I hope she recovers well and this experience only provides insight to her work, not an obstacle.

Great article. As usual nothing beats the patient perspective, there's a lesson in there somewhere. All it took was the single most disruptive event in human history. I'm not in charge of anything related to this but I may just suggest this is not an optimal way of doing things. It's pretty much the worst possible way, in fact. Just saying.

Yessica, Anna H, MeSci and 13 others like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Best wishes to Mady Hornig. Even assuming she now recovers quickly I'm sure it has been an unpleasant time.

Robert 1973, Yessica, Anna H and 15 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m confused: what are you saying is pretty much the worst way of doing things?

19. rvallee

That it takes the single most disruptive event in human history for medicine to "discover" something that has been denied for years despite ample evidence.

AliceLily, JaneL, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There have been discussions for a long time between patients, though not everyday discussions, that a pandemic or major outbreak leading to mass ME might be necessary to make people play attention. This does not make it desirable. Its more a silver lining situation. The tragedy is if the medical research community had taken it seriously thirty or more years ago, the world would be much better prepared. Maybe they will have learned something before the next pandemic, or the one after that ...

I can only imagine what the long term fallout of huge numbers of newly disabled would be in or after a general economic meltdown. I am not optimistic. I can however hope that it wont happen or wont be as bad as I suspect it might be.

Anna H, Maria1, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.