News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

You guys get it. :thumbup:

Thank you. :hug:

@PhysiosforME

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. B_V

B_V Established Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a link to the study that NIH is funding. It's an immunology study of COVID patients. Joseph Breen at NIAID did not give us a dollar figure on this study. https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/niaid-study-examines-immune-responses-people-covid-19

NelliePledge, Hutan, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the article, but just sent them the following short note:
    The usual claim is that 25% have severe ME. However, that doesn't just include the bedbound, but also the housebound and maybe also the virtually housebound.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Michelle and rvallee like this.
  7. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for this Tom - we know we still have lots to learn so always welcome feedback.

Thanks for sharing this - we're really chuffed as it goes out to 59,000 of our physiotherapy colleagues and is the first time we have seen anything about avoiding GET in Frontline!

8. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this story has been posted yet:

https://apple.news/ApnhrWMlcRC2f0ylfgjtPsg

What struck me is when she attended a&e, she was told her symptoms were just a panic attack, and to get back to work as soon as possible, even tho she can’t sustain anything near normal.

9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't see any reference to testing for Covid. Did I miss it?

Kitty and 2kidswithME like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The article is in Huff post:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en..._5ed67b7dc5b68a110026c36a?ncid=APPLENEWS00001
    I Caught Coronavirus Months Ago. I Didn’t Expect To Still Be Struggling Now
    Seven weeks since I first had symptoms, the ‘long tail’ of Covid-19 continues to plague me.

No she wasn't tested as far as I can see, but she describes symptoms that fit the covid pattern including fever, anosmia and breathing problems, so it seems pretty clear that's what she had.
    Her decription of post exercise relapse sounds very like PEM. Good to see she has realised already that she shouldn't try to exercise her way out of it, and is in an online support group for others in the same position.

lunarainbows, Anna H, JaneL and 11 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm guessing Sophie Wilson may have no awareness of ME/CFS, and the implications of such symptoms.

Kitty, Michelle, 2kidswithME and 5 others like this.
  12. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Nor did the doctor who told her just to get back to work! :(

Kitty, MeSci, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

14. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Atlantic article was truly fantastic, the reporter really nailed the basic facts and how they tie together. Best coverage of the issue so far.

Another article, seems like there is some growing momentum, it's written by the founder of Body Politic, which published a patient-lead report a few weeks ago: https://www.s4me.info/threads/possibility-of-me-or-pvfs-after-covid-19.14074/page-15#post-260891.

No one knows why these Covid-19 patients’ symptoms keep relapsing

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/4/21274727/covid-19-symptoms-timeline-nausea-relapse-long-term-effects

Anna H, ladycatlover, JaneL and 9 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to see some stats (might be a bit early) on how many post-covid patients are being directed to IAPT for CBT, no doubt citing 'anxiety' as cause of persisting symptoms (as part of the bPS 'prediction' of 'mental health epidemic').
    @Joan Crawford maybe Mike Scott might have an idea if these stats are available anywhere?

Milo, ladycatlover, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  18. Maria1

Maria1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don’t know if this should be in a separate thread but.. I recently tested negative for covid antibodies. Im pretty sure I’ve had had the long tail version of it so am pretty annoyed to go through all that and not even got any antibodies out of it!

I’ve seen on Body Politic that a significant number are also testing negative for antibodies.

Leaving aside discussion of the accuracy of tests and whether or not I’ve actually had covid- My question is:-

Is there a scientific reason that the immune system of someone with ME/CFS wouldn’t generate antibodies to the illness that triggered the ME? Whether that be in any post viral illness or any other?

I don’t know if I’m making sense here- feeling like this is an important question to ask I’m even if I can’t quite work out how to ask it!

MeSci, ladycatlover, JaneL and 8 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s interesting, what antibody test did you get? Abbott or Roche, maybe? Venous blood sample, or finger prick? Did you order online and mail in your blood sample? Long postage delays could affect viability of sample, perhaps.

From the validation studies it appears these tests are >99% accurate, so it’s curious that patients with clinical diagnosis are coming up negative. The antibody test needs to be >3 weeks after developing symptoms.

I think no antibodies is unexpected, but there is so much we don’t know yet about Covid. Perhaps in true immunodeficiency state there would be a paucity of antibodies, but this isn’t the case in ME/CFS.

Thanks for posting this, I’ve been wondering about getting tested myself but would be hopping mad if spent the cash and test was negative lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.