News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What kind of psychological mumbo jumbo is “building your own healing capacity”?!? Would you say that to cancer patients, heart disease patients, MS patients, lupus patients? Please go away and build your own critical thinking capacity.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    rainy, lycaena, MEMarge and 19 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    MEMarge, Daisymay, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty sure that's not really Hollobone's account. Not many followers and profile says 'parody of a parody'.

tmrw, Kitty, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Esther12 I'll edit that in to the post.

5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I generally don’t write comments but had to reply to a comment on the article calling it “sensationalist” and citing a single medRxiv preprint study from earlier last year suggesting 2.5% of symptomatic COVID cases result in LC. My reply under “Leo”

https://nyti.ms/3c2HW4V#permid=111219638

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Amw66, Skycloud, tmrw and 7 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No mention of ME, even though it's in on the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy website.
    https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...ts-clinicians-seek-answers-mystery-long-covid

alktipping, Dolphin, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am always surprised that there always seems to be surprise that many long covid sufferers did not initially undergo hospitalisation. I wonder how many of us initially had an illness requiring hospitalisation. One might even argue that most of those at the RFH would not have been hospitalised had they not been staff requiring quarantine.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Letter to editor: Persistent fatigue in patients with COVID-19
    https://www.rcpjournals.org/content/clinmedicine/21/1/e117

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many have post-infectious POTS, unfortunately many won't be properly diagnosed and won't receive treatment. I have no clue what treatments will be available for them in the future, but with all the rehabilitation centers opening up I'm guessing it isn't going to go well for them.

A young women here said she saw 10 doctors and is receiving "IV treatments" and other 'stuff', she lives in/near a major large city, so location is a factor too.

sebaaa, Kitty, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, so me is caused by not being mad enough then

sebaaa, Kitty, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

lycaena, Kitty, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fauci interviewed, small segment on Long Covid. Mentions extreme fatigue, muscle pain, temperature dysfunction (weird focus but OK autonomic dysfunction) and brain fog. Doesn't mention this has been known for decades, but that would look very bad so obviously people will be mum about it.

Mentions major investments and resources. No idea if this only refers to the $1.15B or more.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352803437340200962

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...ing-lingering-effects-of-covid-19-99905093945

sebaaa, Kitty, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  14. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The authors seem to happily recommend low dose hydrocortisone or Ritalin

"A double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled crossover study of 60 CFS patients evaluated treatment with methylphenidate (10 mg twice daily) compared with placebo and reported clinical improvement in 17% of patients.7"

Ref 7 = https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000293430500656X
    "Random assignment to 4 weeks treatment with methylphenidate 2 × 10 mg/day, followed by 4 weeks of placebo treatment, or 4 weeks of placebo treatment, followed by methylphenidate treatment. Fatigue and concentration were measured with a Checklist Individual Strength (CIS) and a Visual Analogue Scale (VAS)."

Wonder how people were after the 4 weeks.

Sing, Michelle, Mij and 8 others like this.
  15. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These two observations mentioned in the NYT article seem like a bit of a conundrum:
    [my bolding]

Perhaps the severity of initial acute symptoms is only weakly associated with the onset of ME/CFS following infection, or perhaps long Covid and ME/CFS are similar but not identical, or maybe there is something particularly unique about SARS-CovV-2 that makes it unusually good at inducing persistent symptoms regardless of initial severity. It would be interesting to know what that attribute is.

ETA: Obviously, the genetics of the patient could have a lot to do with this.

Kitty, Amw66, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa and Kitty like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may be that 'severity' for Covid largely relates to pulmonary involvement with hypoxia - which is the main reason for hospital care. That may not correlate closely with the systemic features that Covid and mono share - fever etc.

18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, a respiratory virus may push a focus on lung problems, with other problems being discounted. Whatever is the issue with ME inducing viruses it almost certainly is not about lung problems. What is happening in the brain and immune system is still probably largely overlooked. When will we see deep case studies on patients currently fighting a COVID infection, including gene expression studies, proteomics, cytokine panels, etc?

sebaaa, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  19. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True - the notion of "severity" is no doubt relative. I'd certainly guess that the vast majority of the people who develop post-infectious ME are never actually hospitalized for their initial infection. On the other hand, I don't know if the "mild" Covid cases mentioned in the article are usually hospitalized either.

sebaaa, MEMarge, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  20. Tom Kindlon

Copied from my Twitter:

tmrw, sebaaa, Kitty and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.