News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Both my kids who had glanfular fever and developed subsequent pvfs did not have severe glandular fever at the time. In fact testing for glandular fever was done after some months as they did not start to recover - backtracked to timing of not feeling well with sore throat for guesstimate of infection. They were not off school for very long for glandular fever itself.

It took my son around 18 months to start improving . During that period he had issues with lymphs ( particularly throat) , crippling headaches ( to extent lumber puncture was done ) , sleep reversal and fatigue. But not fatiguability, no PEM. He was 16, so no paediatric input .

My daughter had headaches and fatigue, with PEM ( though we did not know what that was ) and classic symptoms, many of which the paediatrician was clueless about.

I dread to think where they would be now if severity of onset is a robust predictor.

ETA. Daughter 15 when it occurred.

Perhaps this follows the observation that males recover and females don't.

alktipping, Mij, sebaaa and 4 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The severity of the disease at onset being predictive of ME seems incompatible with the idea of insidious onset, which seems to have been accepted since the LA outbreak. Ther seems to be something missing.

Chezboo, Michelle, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with the Dubbo studies seems to be, from my now not so great memory, we cannot be sure any had PEM, or ME. So we cannot be sure if they were mainly describing prolonged post viral fatigue and not ME. Post viral fatigue can last up to five years from reading I did twenty something years ago. Its highly likely some percentage went on to get ME, but we are guessing as to how many and how fast. Severity of onset linking to severity and duration of post viral fatigue is an alternative explanation, which leaves the question open as to what is the main predictor of getting ME. In this scenario the Dubbo studies failed to investigate anything useful for that question.

A similar issue may occur with long COVID. Many will have lung and other damage, some may get prolonged post viral fatigue, and some may get ME. It will take properly conducted research to differentiate between these. Of course some may have all three, which further complicates any study.

To my current way of thinking the biggest clue from all this, taking the Dubbo studies into account, is that many who had only what would be considered a minor infection and may have been asymptomatic went on to get long COVID. That fits with ME better than other explanations I suspect.

Amw66, alktipping, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This might appear to be an inconsistency but I am not sure that it is.

If we take ME to be the result of a self-sustaining regulatory failure in a complex servo system such as the immune or nervous systems then it still makes sense. To trigger a self-sustaining problem in theory all you need is a tiny error that creates a feedback loop. The feedback loop might gather momentum slowly from such a tiny perturbance. On the other hand a major jolt to the system from an infection with systemic features might make that process unfold very quickly. You would also expect the chances of triggering a feedback loop to be correlated with the severity of systemic changes.

Autoimmune diseases are almost certainly self-sustaining loops. Some patients have an insidious or stepwise onset, others have a sudden onset. The only intervention we know that regularly induces autoimmune disease is bone marrow ablation and transplantation and the likelihood relates to the intensity of assault on the immune system.

Sing, Snow Leopard, Michelle and 17 others like this.
  5. alex3619

This is exactly how I see onset with ME.

Sing, Chezboo, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter developed ME after viral labyrinthitis. The initial infection was not too bad, she was nauseous and a bit unsteady walking, but was able to attend a few lessons and study at home. She was 16 and just starting A-levels. The specific balance/nausea symptoms resolved by the end of October, but her energy dropped hugely. Her cognitive function was still OK to continue with some Maths and Geography at home. It was not really till the following Feb that her the cognitive processing disappeared (with respect to A-level study).

alktipping, Amw66 and Trish like this.
  7. alex3619

I suspect, somewhat speculatively, that the underlying problem puts stress on every organ, and then the organ adapts by decreasing function. Cheney pointed this out decades ago with respect to heart failure, the brain follows in a predictable pattern of decline, with "less important" capacities declining. By less important I mean survival capacities are spared, quality of life capacities can be devastated.

The underlying problem in heart failure is circulatory, declining blood availability. We get some of this in ME due to OI, and possible the new and as yet unvalidated brain OI, but I think mitochondrial respiratory decline might do the same thing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opinion piece about long covid and ME by representatives for three Swedish patient organisations.

Aftonbladet Debatt: Långtidscovid avslöjar brister i vården av ME
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/debatt/a/mBLQjl/langtidscovid-avslojar-brister-i-varden-av-me

Google Translate, English

9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is very interesting. It explains what I have always thought - that onset has to be sudden for a disease like ME, at one point the damage is not there the next minute it is, but the effects of that damage can take a good while to become apparent.

It also explains why many people who feel they had a gradual onset have ill health occasionally before full blown ME.

Severity of disease was not seen as being very relevant to getting ME in the days before CFS. In fact it was considered that subclinical infections could cause it. What was a risk factor was getting two infections at the same time. One idea was that ME developed when the immune system did not fight off the virus well enough allowing it to evade detection to get deep into the body.

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  10. mango

A Swedish article about long covid. Behind paywall.

Emma lider av långtids-covid: Känns som att huvudet ska explodera
    https://www.dn.se/ekonomi/emma-lider-av-langtids-covid-kanns-som-att-huvudet-ska-explodera/
    Omni.se writes about the DN article:

MEMarge, Kitty, Trish and 2 others like this.
  11. mango

Another Swedish article about long covid, also paywalled. This one is about the professional ice hockey player Anna Amholt. (An earlier article about her is linked here.)

Aftonbladet/Sportbladet: ”21 timmar vila om dygnet fungerar bra”
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/vA3n7L/21-timmar-vila-om-dygnet-fungerar-bra
    Omni.se writes about the article:

MEMarge, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was pretty good, other than framing it as a unique brand-new thing. Fair account of the difficulties faced, governments and medical institutions are completely oblivious to the problem and offering no help whatsoever. We're at an inflection point where many are facing dire financial difficulties and this is well-explained. I appreciated the framing of what this represents for people who have no one to help them or long haulers who themselves are caretakers, what are they even supposed to do? Frankly this assesses the situation far better than anything published in a medical anything.

The situation in Canada is terrible. The top doctor completely dismissed the issue when asked, punting to provincial services, nevermind that medical research and public health awareness are a federal matter. Medicine is nowhere to be found on the issue. One provincial government (Ontario) was asked and replied with a non-response evading the question. The 6 clinics are run outside of health services, (under)funded by research money.

Way too much is made of the UK clinics, as if this solves the issue entirely. Everyone seems to assume you can just roll up your sleeves and try a bunch of things and it will work itself out by the mere act of trying. Magical thinking rules and rehabilitation is guaranteed if only people just try. Yikes. At this rate we're in for completely wasting the first 2 years with nothing to show for it. What a dysfunctional mess.

They interviewed over 1K patients, did a survey and present the results rather well. Many tried to return to work and simply could not. It could as well have been a report on ME if only about 5-10 words were changed here and there. Same old story, but well-presented.

Mij, ahimsa, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the review. I saved myself the distress of watching this.

MEMarge, Mithriel, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tl;DW of the response: we may, at some point in the future, consider thinking about being prepared for an eventuality that may or may not arise and maybe assign one temp or something.

We are at the 9 months mark. Many already fit the criteria and with time many more will too. This is happening now. It's perceived as a problem for someone else in the far future, or whatever. Zero interest.

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Post #3442 by Mango having read this sentence

"Emma suffers from long-term covid: Feels like her head is going to explode"

I wondered if anyone with Long Covid has had the pressure in their heads and spines measured with a Lumbar Puncture?

Perhaps sufferers are developing intracranial hypertension or hydrocephalus?

Edit : Added Wiki links to the two conditions I mentioned.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Mithriel, alktipping and Dolphin like this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error by David Tuller: Game-Changing Articles in The Guardian and The New York Times

Many hoped, as I did, that the long-covid phenomenon would bring much-needed attention to ME/CFS itself, as well as greater awareness of the pervasive neglect and dismissiveness to which these patients had been subjected for decades.

Well, that’s happened! ME/CFS officially became Big News on both sides of the Atlantic on the same day–Thursday, January 21. (The first full day of a non-Trump presidency—what a lovely coincidence!)

Michelle, alktipping, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’m a bit surprised @dave30th didnt mention Jerome Burne as he’s done some decent reporting of ME in the U.K. in recent years.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    alktipping, Kitty, John Mac and 5 others like this.
  19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Jerome's main website is this one :

https://healthinsightuk.org/

I've read quite a lot of his output and I like it.

By the way, it's Burne with an 'e' on the end. :)

20. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It wasn't intended as a slight! I'm talking about the large respected media organizations--Times, Guardian, etc--and their regular correspondents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.