1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I got the email too

sebaaa, Kitty, Missense and 1 other person like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

sebaaa, cfsandmore, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I gave them a donation a few years ago. I received the email too, and wrote straight back asking them to remove my information from the database, which they said they will do:

sebaaa, alktipping, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, tuha, EzzieD and 22 others like this.
  5. Jaybee00

6. Jaybee00

sebaaa, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  7. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

Wouldn't it be more cost/time effective to see if the metabolic trap works in an animal model? My thinking is you would want to order genetically engineered mice and try to induce the trap to see if they come down with ME symptoms (both fatigue & cognitive dysfunction), euthanize some and go exploring to see if the trap is present in any type of cell. After isolating the cells that show they are in the trap, with the other mice you could develop a treatment plan/method to see if you can spring the trapped cells and evaluate if the symptoms return to baseline. To me, this seems to hold more value in seeing if the metabolic trap causes ME than a ten year old machine that needs repairs to test if FDA approved drugs and herbal extracts can cure yeast. If I’m missing the mark on this feel free to yell at me.

sebaaa, Kitty and butter. like this.
  8. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Animal models don't work. When I was more cognitively able I worked on this, sometimes paid. An example of my work is Cancer researcher slams requirement for animal models | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

How would you test for cognitive function in a mouse???

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not quite sure what is being suggested b ut surely if you need to genetically modify to induce the trap it won't be the same trap as PWME are hypothesised to have since they are not genetically engineered.

Animal models of causation of disease are almost always by definition self-contradictory. If you want to find out the cause of a human disease the one thing you know it isn't is whatever intervention is used in a lab to try to get something similar.

Basically, I agree with MeSci but animal models can sometimes be useful in confirming the effects of downstream pathways. What they are not good at it identifying primary errors.

I do agree about the yeast though.

TrixieStix, Ariel, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People: Scientist Ron Davis Is Fighting to Cure His Son's Chronic Fatigue: 'It's Like a Living Death'
    A short article. Seems to be a fuller one in the paper version.

Quote:

Ron, 79, a professor of biochemistry and genetics at Stanford University, explains the illness that has upended all of their lives.

"It's such a complicated disease," he says quietly."A few patients get over it, but very, very few."

But Ron, whose gene mapping techniques revolutionized the field of modern biology and were used in the Human Genome Project, is determined to defeat this.

"This is probably more complicated than cancer," he says. "We don't know what's exactly wrong in those who have this disease, but I'm optimistic we can come up with a strategy to solve it."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    sebaaa, MEMarge, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A yeast model is one way to fast screen chemicals. It would be far faster and cheaper than, for example, mice. Once you have candidates though you would still need a lot more research to find out if its effective in patients. A LOT more research. As I see it this is just another early step in order to decrease the number of possibilities before moving to more resource intense options for deeper analysis.

What they would be studying is enzyme kinetics. They would want to show the problem, then show its resolution. At the least it would be an in principle test of the concept, even if none of the drugs that work on yeast work on humans.

Ariel, sebaaa, Missense and 4 others like this.
  12. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope, I tried to open the link and there were other items there and nothing about Dr Davis. Is that just my idiocy?

13. Kalliope

Kitty, Perrier, Missense and 2 others like this.
  14. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Kalliope

Janet Dafoe wrote on Twitter that there will be two or three brief teasers like this. Hope the final large article on print will become available online eventually.

sebaaa, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  16. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

I read over what you linked and definitely appreciate your work. I realized that mouse models weren’t the greatest way of seeing if something would translate to humans, but certainly not to the extent you laid out. The reason I suggested mice was mainly due to cost/ethics of it versus a trial on humans. To my understanding some of the cognitive dysfunctions that are found in ME patients could theoretically be evaluated in mice; slower thought/processing speeds & recall ability (Barnes Maze, Y & T mazes, Complex Alley, etc.). Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but you can preform it.

Sid and alktipping like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Averting a second pandemic: Open Medicine Foundation leads groundbreaking international study of Long COVID's conversion to ME/CFS

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ong-covids-conversion-to-mecfs-301263890.html

Wyva, sebaaa and MEMarge like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"who have contributed over one million dollars to date"

Yet there isn't enough money for the nanoneedle replication?

JoanneS, Sid, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We actually know why there is a nanoneedle delay. TWO new nanoneedles are on order, one from China and one from US. Both are delayed due to pandemic issues from what I can gather.

Kitty, Perrier, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  20. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be realistic, that sounds like decades in the future. Has OMF said anything about additional funding for a second Nano Needle study?

Ariel, Kitty, sebaaa and 4 others like this.