UK 21 June 2018 | 3-hour ME debate in Westminster Hall, secured by Carol Monaghan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Minister seemed to miss the point. Much of the little that is done to "help" patients is dysfunctional or harmful. There needs to be some recognition that the current approach has utterly failed. Small incremental improvements are unlikely to have any meaningful impact.

There is little point funding more research when the product of research is studies that grossly distort reality and result in harmful guidance.

What good is teaching doctors about ME when the material they are given includes so much nonsense by the Wessely school. And so on.

anniekim, MEMarge, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

me too @Trish I should have known though Im such a politics nerd:nerd:

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

yep this is why CM and the group of backbenchers will need to press for a further debate in the House of Commons chamber

Simone, Barry, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree with this - insitutional problems have made everything so much worse.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is not enough say more needs to be done. The right thing also needs to be done. And for that there must the acknowledgment that what is currently being done is wrong.

MEMarge, Simone, Barry and 18 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is anyone else pissed off at the minister for using Unrest as his vehicle for showing his 'sympathy'?

And then hitting us with his 'business as usual' and 'all the right provisions are in place', and NICE and the MRC are independent so we can't interfere, and GP training is in place etc. And 'this debate was about raising awareness'.

Blah blah blah...

MEMarge, Woolie, Simone and 13 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. Basically, we need to start again, pretty much from scratch. No point trying to build something solid on rotten foundations.

MeSci, Daisymay, Jan and 6 others like this.
  8. large donner

large donner Guest

So is PACE cooking the books on CFS or ME Michael?

MEMarge, Sean, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  9. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PACE is about whatever suits his whims and covers his arse. But who cares anymore, his reputation and PACE's are mud.
    And any patient can now reject GET and threaten legal action since it was roundly declared unsafe with no objections.

10. large donner

large donner Guest

So what happens if NICE are acting like a bunch of wankers? They apply public policy of health treatments FFS. Who should "interfere" then? No one?

Got an issue with NICE complain to NICE? That's the full line of grievance open to the public?

Even independently owned restaurants are subject to quality checks for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Solstice, Simone, Sean and 9 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michael, have you read the NICE guidelines from 2007?
    "This guideline covers diagnosing and managing chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) which is also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) (or encephalopathy)."

12. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I liked the comment by Jim Shannon in the debate, "I believe in miracles, but PACE isn't one of them".

:rofl:

13. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She was so knowledgeable. I have been often told that the situation around ME is so complex, a lot of people will not understand (or will not be interested because it is not a simple straight-forward situation) or they switch off when I try to explain the situation (even if they wanted to know). Carol Monaghan showed everyone that with goodwill and willingness to find out about ME, it is possible.

MEMarge, MeSci, Solstice and 28 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was I the only one screaming at the screen? I thought it started off well but (yes I know,ever the critic); the issue of the type of CBT dished out to ME/CFS patients was not brought up/explained

Steven Pound was it who kept saying 'encephalomyelitis', then went into a big thing about the children, and saying it might be psychosomatic(?)...........

If he's so worried about the children I would have thought the first thing would be to stop Crawleys 'research'..........

As for the minister, as @Andy has said every sentence almost contained 'should'; well yes that's what they always say even when it's been pointed out time and again what's happening in reality.

I'm sure I will think of more.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. large donner

large donner Guest

I bet the minister just goes away like a shitty journalist and asks the BPS for "their side of the story", then responds with one of their SMC type spinning pack of lies, strawmanning and playing the small vocal minority BS.

Sharpe will probably just refer the minister to the paper and claim people dont understand the science.

Sean, andypants, Daisymay and 3 others like this.
  16. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will there be a transcript of the debate? Thank you.

MeSci, Invisible Woman and Binkie4 like this.
  17. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nah. The Minister will have better things to do with his time than approach the BPS School. Now the debate is over he won't give the issue any further thought - unless he's made to do so.

I'm sure Sharpe will follow up with an email or letter. It'll definitely be more politely worded than his missive to Carol Monaghan was.

Solstice, Woolie, Simone and 6 others like this.
  18. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

anniekim, MeSci, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  19. Bill

Bill Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci, Woolie, Inara and 7 others like this.
  20. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)