UK 21 June 2018 | 3-hour ME debate in Westminster Hall, secured by Carol Monaghan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agent Sharpe is becoming an important ally I see!! Who is going to set up the indiegogo campaign for him to continue his current work on dismantling the psycho-babble madhouse from within?

MEMarge, janice, Woolie and 15 others like this.
  2. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if it's possible to ask for a copy of the letter

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The woman in the picture doesn't look particularly impressed with the tweet either ;) (Neither does she look ill.)

I think it shows that he doesn't believe that it is harmful just that some patients don't want it. If he accepted it was harmful he wouldn't be happy with GPs recommending it to vulnerable patients even if they could theoretically refuse it. Shows a real lack of understanding.

Me too - this was my favourite bit!

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stephen Brine's, the minister's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health),
    pre-politics career according to Wikipedia includes no medical or science background:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Brine

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ed Davey's constituent was me. The cardiologist actually said "pwme are mad but you're not". He thought he was complimenting me. Ed was shocked.

Really appreciate Ed spending an hour the evening before the debate to get to grips with it. He rearranged his diary to be able to do it so next job is a letter of thanks.

MEMarge, Forestvon, MeSci and 41 others like this.
  7. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The (uncorrected) transcript is already online:
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...4E35-A83B-49FEF0D6074F/METreatmentAndResearch

Carol Monaghan
    Interestingly, Professor Sharpe, one of the authors of the PACE trial whom I already mentioned, emailed me this week and told me that my behaviour is “unbecoming of an MP”. I say to Professor Sharpe that if listening to my constituents, investigating their concerns and taking action as a result is “unbecoming”, I stand guilty. [Hon. Members: “Hear, hear!”] If Members of Parliament are not willing to stand up for the most vulnerable in society, what hope do any of us have?

Gavin Newlands (Paisley and Renfrewshire North) (SNP
    I want to say to Professor Sharpe that it is not my hon. Friend’s conduct that is unbecoming; it is his. Sending such emails does nothing for the reputation of the scientific research community, and he should apologise.

8. Joh

And a 3rd mention of Sharpe.

• Carol Monaghan
      One of those authors, Professor Michael Sharpe, states in his briefing for the debate:

“Several of the investigators had done small amounts of independent consultancy for insurance companies, but this was not relevant to the trial. The insurance companies played no part in the trial.”

I will leave hon. Members to make up their own minds about that.

9. large donner

large donner Guest

10. Joh

And last mention of Sharpe.

Steve Brine
    I think the hon. Member for Glasgow North West said in her opening remarks that professionals should welcome research, because evidence-based treatment is ultimately the basis of their training. I welcome such research. I echo what has been said, and on the email that she read out earlier—clearly, I have not seen it and have only heard her reporting of it; I think she will give it to me afterwards—I hope that that will be the second apology received as a result of my remarks today. I look forward to being copied into that.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The contrast is very interesting. Margaret Mar seem to have walked in to a trap. Clearly the atmosphere of the Lords is different but the fact that absolutely nobody uttered a word in defence of PACE today must mean something.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds as if he didn't get who the email was from - the person doing the research! Maybe he is on a steep learning curve.

13. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think there are two things with the MRC. The first is a governance issue since the MRC signed off on PACE and continued to support it. There head of governance gave evidence in the information tribunal to try to block the release of data. This suggests a degree of incompetence of cover up and this should be addressed. When senior people within the MRC were defending PACE, its methodology and outcome switching then something needs to be done. Maybe that will happen as the research councils merge.

The other thing is that I don't think its enough for the MRC to stand back and say that they have no good proposals. They need to have a strategy to make sure such research areas are filled and that good quality proposals are created. Otherwise it may never happen. Currently they come across as a funding club for academics rather than an organization with a long term view on needs and research directions.

15. Adrian

The concerning funding body is the NIHR which is funding Crawley's work and funds her as a senior fellow.

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

despite him being a fan of Unrest I doubt he realises that the PACE folks are best mates with Per Fink

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Exactly this, and I hope, if this hasn't been discussed with Carol Monaghan already, that somebody highlights it with her.

18. Adrian

I think there was a big lobbying campaign for the Lords debate the various Lords speaking in support of PACE were clearly parroting the defense that the PACE team had given them.

19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is today's event typically something that the media will cover? Could we expect some articles about the debate?

20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

no constituent casework to provide live examples that things were badly wrong