1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) articles, blogs and discussion

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Sly Saint, Mar 24, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you look at the accusations that the BPS gang make about us... it's all projection. All of it. Every accusation a silent confession.

Anyway we've known about Wessely's and Sharpe's (and probably Gerada's, judging by what I've seen) bullying for years so it's no surprise this is widespread. It's clearly part of the culture and it's no coincidence with such leaders. The fish is rotten from the head down.

The basis for much of IAPT's promises are in PACE and FINE, CODES and ACTIB. All of which will soon be dismantled because they are incompatible with proper handling of COVID-19. IAPT is as top-heavy as it gets, it's wobbling as we speak and once you take out the flimsy foundations there's nothing but spinning hot air about to crash down.

alktipping, sebaaa, janice and 3 others like this.
  2. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that would have been a really interesting and helpful discussion to have had with pain physician/physio to talk through your experience. Was this a long time ago or recently?

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was about twenty ago so it might have been when they were just starting to look at alternative ways to manage pain. Having seen your posts, she may have treated me the way she did because of what was written in the referral from my neurologist. A previous neurologist diagnosed me with ME but when I developed new symptoms and was admitted I had a horrendous experience on the ward - amongst other things he got all my benefits stopped.

She did tell me that it was only his opinion as I was devastated feeling judged and called a liar. She may genuinely have felt that anxiety was causing my problems - I considered I was dealing with a lot of anxiety making problems in a good way.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This right here is what really bothers me. I've noticed a knee jerk reaction before when being asked questions about job or life events or whatever. That sounds stressful, therefore you must be stressed, therefore we can help you cope with that. Without actually asking if you feel stressed or overwhelmed, or finding out what coping strategies you might have and if you are, in fact, coping.

I think it's really dangerous to go taking apart people's coping/management strategies, without first assessing if they are effectively working for that person. Instead of helping them cope you could end up completely undermining them & leaving them.unable to cope.

That's harm in my book.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps they'd like to stake their success of IAPT on prisoner's recidivism rates on release.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Captive audience.

ukxmrv, Arnie Pye, Frankie and 9 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

IAPT, No Better Than Placebo?
    http://www.cbtwatch.com/iapt-no-better-than-placebo/

10. Sly Saint

IAPT’s Black Hole – Accountability
    14th December 2020
    http://www.cbtwatch.com/iapts-black-hole-accountability/

Amw66, Sean, rvallee and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sly Saint

A Conflict of Interest Between NHS England and IAPT
    20th January 2021

Arnie Pye, rvallee and Mithriel like this.
  12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The horror in the post above regarding IAPT is that not only are people with MUS symptoms poorly served by a therapy that has no bearing on their illness but the people with true mental health conditions are just as ill served. And when they go out into the world, if they have a crisis of functioning the usual response is to shoot them or lock them away.

Mental health conditions also deserve so much better than this worse than useless panacea.

13. Sly Saint

Talking Therapies Institutionalised Psychologising of Physical Health Problems
    27th April 2021
    full blog here:
    http://www.cbtwatch.com/talking-therapies-psychologising-of-physical-health-problems/

eta: post is by an anonymous IAPT therapist, not Dr Scott.

Joan Crawford, ukxmrv, Amw66 and 13 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's a really good, brief, blog post pointing out the dangers of CBT for people with physical diseases. I think it's a good example for NICE to consider when deciding whether to continue with their plan to recommend CBT therapists to help manage ME/CFS. @Keela Too, @adambeyoncelowe.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    MEMarge, Keela Too, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree.

I also worry that not only could the gaslighting of some patients be continuing but that some of the patients may actually suffer the much greater harm of having their faith in their existing self developed management strategies undermined.

So, not only are they facing a challenge to their mental health undergoing inappropriate CBT & the continuing delay in investigating potentially treatable conditions, the underlying condition may also be made worse by the patient changing their behaviour based on what they learn in CBT rather than relying on their own observations and lived experiences.

This is where membership of patient support groups is invaluable and far more important than CBT in my opinion.

MEMarge, Snowdrop, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Invisible Woman, Amw66 and Sean like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) has potential but is not sufficient: How can it better meet the range of primary care mental health needs?
    https://bpspsychub.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bjc.12314

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

How about the problem with the whole IAPT project is less the implementation and more the underlying assumptions and content, or lack of it?

Maybe a lot of this stuff is just irrelevant at best, and trying to force round pegs into square holes is never going to work?

Ever considered that, guys?

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

PGCert EVIDENCE BASED LOW INTENSITY CBT PSYCHOLOGICAL WELLBEING PRACTITIONER

https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/postgr...sity-cbt-psychological-wellbeing-practitioner

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Michelle like this.
  20. rvallee

Honestly at this point just go straight with Amazon's "wellness booths" and be done with it. This is completely beyond parody, it just cheapens everything to a damn tchotchke.