United Kingdom: Science Media Centre (including Fiona Fox)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Esther12, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

excellent

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you. It's there now, for the record, so people can quote me if needed. If I can, I'll get it all written up somewhere more formally (I know some of it is in the videos I did with David and #MEAction, but it's helpful to have it all spelled out).

Thank you!

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Sean and 18 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is a fantastic review, and account of the situation very succinct considering how much it covers. Accessible to all too, i shall be referring people to it. Thank you so much

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Ariel and 14 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Can I copy it all to the forum? It could be put into the NICE Guideline section of the forum here.

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Ariel and 12 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

Of course. But also, please encourage people to vote it as helpful on Amazon, as that pushes the review to the top so that potential book-buyers (some of whom are probably at least a little bit interested in science) can see the points therein.

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excellent review.

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic review Adam. Thank you.

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  9. Trish

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, bobbler, Mithriel and 6 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, I think the difference is that the 2023 version will be a paperback, whereas the current version is hardback. (Perhaps though the publishers won't think it is worth printing if initial sales are poor. :emoji_fingers_crossed:)

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent!

MEMarge, Ali, MSEsperanza and 3 others like this.
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I signed into Amazon to up rate the existing reviews, and ended up adding my own:

MEMarge, Sean, cfsandmore and 16 others like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shared on Twitter:

15. adambeyoncelowe

More likely, this will be for the mass-market paperback. Usually, publishers do hardback or trade paperback (bigger format), then the mass market paperback at a cheaper price. Checking just now, it seems the first edition is indeed a hardback.

I think the reviews should carry over. But if not, we can always repost them.

MEMarge, Ariel, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, Adam. I added a shorter review, focusing on Fox’s history and emphasising the contrast between her views and those of NICE, the CDC, APPG, Javid etc.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/custome...=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1783966173

Sean, cfsandmore, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  18. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fiona Fox is on a book promotion circuit. She promoted her book at the Hay Book Festival on Sunday the 5th June https://www.hayfestival.com/p-19079-fiona-fox-talks-to-marcus-du-sautoy.aspx

There is no video of Fox's interview at Hay 2022 on the 'Hay Player' - which shows videos of dozens of the interviews/events at Hay this year
    https://www.hayfestival.com/c-209-archive-hay-player.aspx?pagenum=1

And Fiona Fox will speak about her book at the Royal Institution tonight (7/6/2022) with Evan Davis as Chair (Evan Davis is the presenter of PM, the news and current affairs programme on Radio 4, until 2018 he was the main presenter of BBC2’s Newsnight)

https://www.rigb.org/whats-on/beyon...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=livestreams

'What's the damage to public understanding when scientists are silenced on the defining issues of our times? Journalist Fiona Fox (CEO of@SMC_London) gives us the inside story on some of science's biggest media controversies'
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1531246297654632451

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Ariel, Hutan, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solid! Just pure sharpened steel.
    And we are seeing exactly that happening with LC. Clinics are pushing GET and when questioned quickly insist it's not GET, even though they do GET because of trials that used GET, which would be like using a drug because of trials that used a different drug, makes zero sense. It's literally the modality of increasing activity that is critical to the claims, but it shows they don't even care because they insist they're not doing what they're doing but also they do it because there's good evidence for it.

At what point does this qualify as misconduct? Seriously, when does pushing a treatment on false pretenses become unethical? Seems like when they have to insist they're not doing what they're doing, consciousness of guilt, is really far into that point. I don't get it, the complete lack of accountability for something that is clearly dysfunctional.

20. Trish