USA: News from #MEAction

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by ahimsa, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#MEAction has announced an official membership program.

Announcement on twitter (with a short video):
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/MEActNet/status/1435634990717538312
    More details on website:
    Membership starts at $5 a month. Free membership is also available to those who can't make a financial contribution:

Simbindi, Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread (MEAction funding)

eta:
    https://www.fordfoundation.org/the-...ches-first-ever-us-disability-rights-program/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  4. ahimsa

When I clicked that link it didn't seem to match the announcement being discussed. Not sure what happened...

At any rate, here's a link from the Ford Foundation website:

https://www.fordfoundation.org/the-...ches-first-ever-us-disability-rights-program/

I saw a video clip of Rebecca Cokley discussing this yesterday (see tweet in quote below) but I did not realize that one of the grants was for MEAction!

5. ahimsa

Webinar: “Double-Edged Sword of Research for BIPOC"
    Thursday, Nov. 11th, 5:30-6:30 PM Pacific Time.

Speakers are Jaime Seltzer from MEAction and Leticia Vaca from Urban Health Group Wellness.

Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/double-edged-sword-of-research-for-bipoc-tickets-189318214877

Edited to add: BIPOC stands for "Black, Indigenous, and People of Color."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yessica, ahimsa, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  7. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope it goes well! :thumbup:

Yessica, Hutan, Lilas and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hutan

This is on in about 15 minutes

Yessica, Binkie4, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied post
    I was unsure about the directness of the MEAction campaign, how it's pretty much prescriptive and may be badly received in a "who are you to tell us how to deal with this?" way but see a lot of praise and thanks in hindsight, pretty much for how simple it is. It's not that simple and it's not all of it but this is still the best we have for now, even 18+ months into it.

This is one but frankly I see many regularly. Kudos on this, sometimes it's OK to be bold when you are on the right side of history, even if it irks some at first.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1453058599178153991

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2021
  11. Sly Saint

Merged thread

#MEAction: strategic planning survey 2021

from email

We're excited to share that #MEAction is engaged in a strategic planning process facilitated by the Center for Nonprofit Management (CNM) to help us determine our strategic way forward. An initial step in the process is to gain input from YOU, our incredible #MEAction community! Through the anonymous survey at the link below, we would be grateful for your input. It is our goal to understand your knowledge and perceptions of #MEAction’s programs, impact, and future.

This survey is anonymous and should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. Only CNM has access to the responses, and individual answers will not be reported. We are looking for trends and consistent perceptions. Your honesty is truly appreciated!

Take the Survey

deadline Nov 8

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2022
  12. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed. There were questions about donating and I've ran into the same problem at MEAction as I did at other venues that do fundraising for ME, the only option to donate is through creditcard. In the Netherlands we rarely use creditcard. We have our own system called "ideal" which is very handy, but I don't expect foreign organizations to put that on the table as an option for us. Paypal however works too for most Dutch people but is rarely an option too.

alktipping, Louie41, Missense and 3 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Only five days to fill it in seems an unreasonably small amount of time to allow for pwME, does anybody know if this has been running for a while already?

alktipping, Louie41, CRG and 2 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I probably should have looked through the survey before starting, was OK for the closed questions, but when I got to the open ended questions it was beyond me just now.

As there was not an obvious save option I just dropped out of answering, though hopefully I will come back and restart when my brain is functioning better.

alktipping, Louie41, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I read on Facebook that it can be filled after the 8th of November deadline. Will see if I can find the post again.

16. Sly Saint

yes, same, so it took me longer than 10 minutes.

unfortunately it wont let me copy the questions to paste here.

17. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a complaint but it seemed more like a recruitment and funding campaign than a genuine inquiry about what is important. It's not exceptional in those terms but it is sort of thing that puts me off, though I'd guess the psychology is based on tried and tested methodology.

18. Hutan

Done, I think it's a worthwhile thing to do and I'm glad MEAction is asking for feedback. It took me longer than 10 minutes too.

Some of what I suggested: I stressed that if it is aiming to be a credible organisation, being effective with influencing government and others, it needs to be careful to be science-based, overly cautious even. Things like being seen to be promoting unproven spinal surgery does a lot of harm, to the organisation and to people with ME/CFS.

I also think that it should focus on being really effective in the US and let organisations in other parts of the world develop their own approach that works in the culture they are in. That said I think the US MEAction can play a part in getting national ME/CFS charities off the ground, especially in the Americas.

A focus on lobbying for US research is very important for all of us - if we have biomarkers, everything else - public recognition, better educated medical professionals, more research - will happen much more easily. I think MEAction should be engaging directly with health insurance companies to ensure they have good information - and explain why they should be investing in ME/CFS research. I think capitalising on the incidence of the ME/CFS that follows Covid-19 should be a high priority. Evidence suggests that much of Long Covid is just one of the many types of ME/CFS.

I think it's good if others share their ideas here, as it can be hard to think of everything you want to say when faced with the blank boxes.

19. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That happened to me too, and I just skipped those questions after thinking, once again, how even ME organizations don't "get" severe ME.

20. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't remember it all but I said something along the lines of support for local fundraising initiatives. I should've specified better though, because I mean something along the lines of basics that you have to do before you can start fundraising. And does this differ in different countries. I guess there's some licensing involved maybe?