Indeed. It should be a national holiday or moment of silence, thinking of the sacrifice.10 years today, Alem Matthees was sent the PACE trial data he had requested and shared it with a small number of us.
Indeed. It should be a national holiday or moment of silence, thinking of the sacrifice.10 years today, Alem Matthees was sent the PACE trial data he had requested and shared it with a small number of us.
Cost of PACE in today’s money:10 years today, Alem Matthees was sent the PACE trial data he had requested and shared it with a small number of us.
Which would have more than covered the funding of SequenceME, I presume?Cost of PACE in today’s money:
What cost £5,000,000.00 in 2005 would cost £9,135,555.65 in July 2026.Change in value: 82.7%Average annual inflation: 2.84%
Calculated via https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator
Sadly not, in total we need roughly double that, but obviously we could do a lot with £9m.Which would have more than covered the funding of SequenceME, I presume?
That is very sobering indeed.Everyone who has deteriorated from a GET like approach in the last ten years didn't need to. There was objective proof it was useless and countless testimonies that it caused harm. The institutions who stuffed their ears and refused to hear the truth are responsible for what has happened to all of us who ended up worse because of exercise etc since then.
Even so, this was a momumental moment in MECFS history.
Thank you Alem.
Ah..ok. good to know, but no idea how we get there. I am speaking to my MP as much as possible.Sadly not, in total we need roughly double that, but obviously we could do a lot with £9m.
@AndyAh..ok. good to know, but no idea how we get there. I am speaking to my MP as much as possible.
The current estimate for the remainder of the full project is £15m. We do not expect to find that from one funder though, and the study has been designed in such a way that smaller but still substantial amounts can help us make progress towards our larger goal. One example of this is the recent £4.7m from the DHSC that is enabling the part of the study that sequences up to 6k ME/CFS samples.@Andy
Can I confirm an exact figure/ask for when I am contacting my MP? Is that helpful currently? Thanks.
I very rarely post on LinkedIn these days but decided to do a longer post today on this:10 years today, Alem Matthees was sent the PACE trial data he had requested and shared it with a small number of us.
Alem Matthees has joined Bluesky today.Much gratitude to Alem
I am going to have a go at social media. I do not know if it will be successful or if anyone will be interested. I would rather avoid the topic of #MECFS and focus on other interests, but it continues to destroy my life and if I can help raise awareness then perhaps the suffering is not for nothing.
Bluesky is not properly showing me all my replies I posted to @tomkindlon.bsky.social about #Pacing for #MECFS so I am creating a new thread and tagging him here.
The statement about "avoiding PEM as much as possible" is valid but needs clarification or we are accused of maladaptation. I have read stories about people with #MECFS who took it too far, did as little as possible, became deconditioned, then blamed pacing when their illness worsened overall.
I cannot verify anecdotes but they seem to mostly appear in the brain retraining community. Perhaps they misapplied pacing, suffered a spontaneous relapse, have another illness resembling #MECFS, or created a strawperson argument about excessive rest to set the stage to promote brain retraining?
Pacing to me means finding a balancebetween activity and rest to optimise function and QoL. If I was to avoid PEM as much as possible, I would probably have to do absolutely nothing. I currently have the support to be that but I cannot do nothing unless forced because it is psychological torture.
I was forced to do absolutely nothing because of very severe #MECFS for 9 years, but at least now I can read and write a little. People with ME/CFS have their boundaries tested constantly just trying to live and we naturally do more when we are able to. Activity phobia in ME/CFS is BPS folklore.
I know I am preaching to the choir here. I just wanted to express a few thoughts about how the phrase "avoiding PEM as much as possible" can be weaponised against pacing. We saw how APT in the #PACEtrialused an inappropriate 70% rule which Leonard Jason has rightly criticised, PMID: 28805518.
Would you prefer a 0.5x, a 0.25x speed or a version with ~5 still images?Love that, great way of visualising it @Lucibee. But I struggle with gifs. Is it possible to slow down the play speed?
Ooh, 0.25x please.Would you prefer a 0.5x, a 0.25x speed or a version with ~5 still images?
Thank you so much. This is much more my speed!There you go. The playback duration is a whooping 62 seconds, so sit back and try to relax: