Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    JaneL, MEMarge, Nellie and 9 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Is this the trial that Hilda Bastion referred to when she wrote that there was " a strong trial in progress" in relation to AZ vaccine? I think I saw the comment under the diagram drawn up by H B and posted earlier in the thread.

Michelle likes this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/niaid-statement-astrazeneca-vaccine

This is why we can't have nice things!

edit - Update:
    https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-c...niaid-on-azd1222-us-phase-iii-trial-data.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Hutan, JaneL, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would appear to be more of the 'campaign' against AZ, which just has to be totally unfounded, because the acknowledged experts of worldwide acclaim, on all things vaccines and vaccinations, Mr BoJo and Mr Macaroon, have both said it's absolutely fine.

It's so fine that everything they and the manufacturers AZ have previously said can be safely ignored.

Its just that good, and safe, really, really, really, safe.

So any data that may, or may not, have been 'withheld' has been superseded, by TV appearances and statements by these acknowledged experts, Mr BoJo and Mr Macaroon.

If I was to let my comedic imagination run riot then I would say that out of 20000 test subjects only 14 turned into zombies, but the decision was taken, as zombies are not legally people, and the testing was only to see what side effects happened to the people in the trial, that these results could be disregarded.

Or something like that ;)

Hutan, JaneL, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

The NIAID is accusing them of cherry-picking their data, to which AZ replied "nah mate we double checked and it's all good, no worries!"*

*It's possible the paraphrasing process may suggest a different nationality to those who made the comment

Hutan, JaneL, ahimsa and 13 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant - thanks for the laugh & the insight @Snow Leopard

I've just had the AstraZenica vaccine and to adjust the phrase --- a (AstraZenica) vaccine in the arm is better than none (other option).

I'm getting a bit --- off that they seem incapable of following the rules --- first the bungled attempt at a phase 3 trial then this re the (forced) repeat of the phase 3 trial

There's a pandemic going on and if they just published the data I'm pretty confident that the regulators would approve it.

They seem to be getting the vaccine produced widely including in some countries outside Europe/US --- great.

JaneL, MEMarge, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  8. Binkie4

Simbindi and Trish like this.
  9. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Running a Google (or whatever) search on "site:ft.com" and "interim analysis" will probably bring it up, regardless.

Michelle, Binkie4 and Invisible Woman like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...931d34-8bc3-11eb-a33e-da28941cb9ac_story.html

JaneL, Yessica, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re the blood clot/bleeding issues with the AZ vaccine, in Denmark the hypothesis of poor vaccination technique as a possible cause seems to be taking hold. Basically, poor vaccination technique can on very rare occasions lead to people getting the vaccine into their bloodstream and that's a place it really, really shouldn't be (this applies to the other vaccines, too, not just the AZ one). If the hypothesis is correct, at least the problem would be easily fixable (though tragically too late for some).
    Remainder of article here:
    https://translate.google.com/transl...-efter-meldinger-om-farlige-bivirkninger.html

More discussion on the same topic here:
    https://translate.google.com/transl...aldene-maaske-bare-daarlig-vaccinationsteknik

12. Snow Leopard

But it's not just clotting, it is a rare autoimmune reaction to those clots that is the primary cause for concern.

I don't buy the poor technique argument. But I also don't believe this issue is specific to the AZ vaccine.

JaneL, lunarainbows, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  13. Binkie4

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...efficacy-of-76-for-covid-19-vaccine-1.4519848

AZ has reported a slightly lower efficacy rate of 76% (not 79% as initially reported) to the US monitoring board. It still reports 100% effectiveness against severe infection.

Reported efficacy in over 65s was 85%.

“The vaccine efficacy against severe disease, including death, puts the AZ vaccine in the same ballpark as the other vaccines,” said William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert from the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, adding that he expects the shot to gain US approval."

14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Meanwhile in Canada . . .

Today Canada is in 65th place globally in “total vaccines per 100 people.” In other news: Canada drops to 15th in “World Happiness Index.” Source: Our World in Data

JaneL, Binkie4, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

These 100% efficacy claims against hospitalisation/death are not genereralisable due to limited sample size and participation bias. We know from UK/Israel data that vaccinated individuals can still die of COVID19.

16. FMMM1

Another thing is that we now have a South African variant which the AstraZeneca is 10% effective against i.e. 90% still get symptomatic disease. So maybe the South African variant can still be transmitted by people who've been vaccinated with AstraZeneca - transmission in the community is worrying re clinically vulnerable people.

Oh Australia - why can't we try that!

17. Snow Leopard

The bigger worry is what is going to emerge in 6-9 months time.

One thing that annoys me is the media keeps talking about the possibility of annual 'booster' shots. But they aren't 'booster' shots at all. Booster shots are an additional dosage of the same vaccine. If we need annual shots, it is going to be for different variants/strains, just like for Influenza vaccine.

Wits_End, Amw66, Mithriel and 16 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The media misinformation has caused some real stupidity.

I was discussing this with a friend who has an in-law who works for the NHS in a quite high level position. The in law isn't going to get the vaccine because it's too new and therefore not safe.

But it's not like they had to completely reinvent the wheel to produce this vaccine. Although it is a new vaccine, it builds upon decades of research and experience of creating vaccines.

So, by the same logic, if they got sick and needed a new ventilator would they refuse to go on the latest model ventilator, preferring instead to wait until one of the older ones gets freed up?

MEMarge, Michelle, Yessica and 6 others like this.
  19. Snow Leopard

There are "traditional" vaccines too, Novavax which is a subunit vaccine and CoronaVac from Sinovac, which is a inactivated virus vaccine. So the "this is new technology" argument only extends so far...

MEMarge, Sean, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  20. FMMM1

It's interesting how many medical professionals have been reluctant to be vaccinated - even now when the data (showing lower incidence in medical professionals who've been vaccinated/their families) is available!

JemPD, mango and Invisible Woman like this.