1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Australia): Side-effects of vaccinations which need urgent attention because they might indicate blood clots:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...d-act-fast/ar-BB1fUFYa?ocid=ASUDHP&li=AAnZ9Ug

Also, a worryingly-formulated headline (risk of blood clots after AstraZeneca jab increased):

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...-fortnight/ar-BB1fWmN3?ocid=ASUDHP&li=BBoPWjQ

Of course, the risk hasn't magically doubled, it's just that more people are coming forward because they've been made aware of the situation: "observer bias".

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Yessica, Michelle, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How do people choose a vaccine to get, assuming they even have a choice?

When It Comes to a Travel Restart All Vaccines Are Not Equal

Wits_End, Simbindi, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guess I'd better start restocking for the 3rd and 4th waves then.:banghead::banghead::grumpy:

Simbindi, Mij and Arnie Pye like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does the news announce every plane that lands safely? I didn't think so.

Wonko likes this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Covid vaccine: Sore arm and headache most common side effects

By Rachel Schraer
    Health reporter

The most common side effects of the Covid-19 vaccines are pain or tenderness at the injection site - in other words, a sore arm - a UK study has suggested.

Roughly one in four people had wider effects like fever, headache, nausea and fatigue.

But these only lasted on average for one day.

Researchers involved in the ZOE Covid Symptom Study app saw fewer reactions than were seen in clinical trials.
    Confidence in the vaccines has continued to grow since the end of last year, with more than 80% saying they believe the vaccines are safe and effective, compared with about 70% who said the same towards the end of 2020, according to a survey of 5,000 people.

More here: Covid vaccine: Sore arm and headache most common side effects - BBC News

Yessica, Binkie4, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the link provided above https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56901356 gives a more nuanced picture giving details of some of the differences between the two vaccines most used in the U.K., Pfizer and AZ.

I wish my response had been as mild as those listed but I think it has been mast cell related. The one symptom I didn't have with either jab was a sore arm!
    I also find it odd that it's less than 2 years since I started experiencing mast cell type symptoms and less than 18 months since I had anaphylaxis, after 14 years with diagnosed ME. That was why my GP pulled me out of the routine vaccine here at the time which was Pfizer, and allocated me to a rare AZ day. I had never had any allergy symptom until 18 months ago.

The US NIH have started to research the effects of Pfizer and Moderna on people with mast cell disorders
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...ons-moderna-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccines

but obviously they will not look at AZ. As far as I can see as a non scientist it looks a good study except they don't cover my age group( oldest age is 69). I wish this could be done here with AZ because there is the issue of the proposed autumn vaccine.

edit: a few words reordered for clarification

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    ukxmrv, ScottTriGuy, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  7. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm probably needing to go on an antiobiotic this week and I'm trying to get a vaccinated in my room this week too.

Do you think an antibiotic might interferre in anyway with the vaccine working?

If so, with the vaccine taking up to a few months for it to be most efficient, then ought I to time this so the antibiotic isn't taken during the time of the vaccine becoming most effective in my system?

I know antibiotics are specific for what they treat yet wasn't sure still how this may work with the covid vaccine. Thank you if you know more about this and can share.

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html

I hope some one can answer your question regarding antibiotics.

Amw66, Yessica and Wonko like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure you'll get a more knowledgeable reply, but personally I wouldnt imagine antibiotics would have any impact on the vaccine efficacy, given that antibiotics work on bacteria, no impact on viruses.
    But i might be completely wrong. I hope someone more more medically knowledgeable will comment...... @Jonathan Edwards if you have time?

But I think perhaps the person giving the shot should be made aware that you have an infection? - i seem to remember them checking if i was 'fit & well' before giving me mine.

It's great you're getting the vaccine, it's sooo worth it! You might want to consider side effects from both antibiotics & vaccine at the same time though - if you tend to react to medication, and maybe discuss with your doctor the merits of getting through any initial side effects from one before getting the other? even though both are more likely to be minor you might want to consider avoiding them both hitting on the same day unless it's necessary?

Yessica, Wits_End, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  10. Binkie4

https://committees.parliament.uk/call-for-evidence/438/covid-19-vaccine-certification

I came across this about an hour ago, unfortunately too late to be of use. It closed at midnight.

If certification is introduced, and I seem to remember news items which indicated it is likely, what are the implications? There may be many unable to have the vaccine, some on the advice of their doctors. Lots to think about. Unable to sleep but now brain dead so cannot add more.

eta: Germany is reportedly to end corona virus restrictions for those who are fully vaccinated. I presume this will require some form of certification.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Wonko and Yessica like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Such "certification" or a "vaccination passport" should not be used for anything other than being required for international travel. Those who are immunised can still be infected and can still spread the virus.

Wits_End, Michelle, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There would not be a central database for certification, privacy nightmare. Anti-lockdown/vaccine communities are sharing instructions how to forge them. The passports can't be relied upon. Not because it's a bad idea, but because humans are weirdos.

Sean, Wits_End, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Swedish Public Health Authority released some data today.

Få allvarliga fall av covid-19 bland vaccinerade
    https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se...llvarliga-fall-av-covid-19-bland-vaccinerade/
    (Sweden's population is approx 10 million people.)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Wyva, Michelle, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not a doctor, nor do I have any super secret knowledge. However I’ve always understood that one is prohibited from getting any vaccine while having any active infection. If you have ME/CFS, you need be 10 times more cautious than the average person.

Samuel, Amw66, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

I registered to take part in the Zoe Covid study based at Kings but I felt so ill after AZ1 that I couldn't do it. I do have daily scribbles written for myself about what was happening to me and I later had AZ2.

Yesterday I had an email from the study team which included a request for details of " unusual post vaccination after effects." Mine seemed mostly mast cell related including throat swelling for which I have reduced histamine in my diet, and increased anti histamines. I hope they might write something about l- histidine ( constituent of AZ) and whether it can possibly convert to histamine. Some on here might know but until recently I have been reluctant to post too strongly about my negative experiences so haven't asked. Now that the Zoe group are studying it, I hope to get some answers.

The symptoms they mention are " changes to menstruation" but they have reports of others and have asked that friends and family be encouraged to log jabs and symptoms with them.

I replied and have had acknowledgement. Sorry cannot write more. Need to rest.

"Have you had any unusual post vaccination after-effects?

As more of you receive your first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, we’re seeing some reports of rare and unusual after-effects, including changes to menstruation. There’s nothing to be alarmed about, and we’re digging deeper into these findings to learn more.

To help, please keep reporting with us and encourage as many of your friends and family as possible to download the app and log their jabs and symptoms with us too!

For all of the latest updates and research, you can follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

Keep safe and keep logging

The ZOE COVID Study team"

ukxmrv, Missense, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  16. Sam Walter

Sam Walter

Merged thread

AZ vaccination and no antibodies

Hi. I have ME (start 1995, poster child for Canadian definition and for ME ICC). I got my first AZ jab in early March. After seven weeks I had antibody tests done (renowned testing centre, 98.5% reliability of test) for both IGg and IGm antibodies, using a phlobotomist. My partner (without ME) did too. While they had high IGm and negative IGg, as would be expected after vaccination, I had negative results for both. (In fact they said they tested my blood twice, which renders the possibility that they got this wrong minimal.) So my question is: are there any data, anecdotal or other, regarding antibodies after AZ vaccination, first and/or second jab for people with ME? Also has anyone here taken an antibody test (at the recommended time) after the vaccine and had no or very low antibodies?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2021
    Yessica, Snow Leopard, JemPD and 14 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Sam Walter, welcome to the forum. I hope someone can answer your question for you.

Yessica, JemPD, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I am booked in for my first jab next week. Don't know which one I will be getting, but most likely AZ.

Let you all know how it goes.

Mij, Yessica, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  19. Binkie4

Results of the Com- COV study are out ( mix and match vaccines) and show that mixing and matching increases the risk of unpleasant side effects.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/covid-study-finds-mixing-vaccines-
    increases-risk-of-adverse-reactions.html

In a peer-reviewed research letter published in The Lancet international medical journal on Wednesday, researchers of the trial reported that when given at a four-week interval, both of the alternating vaccine schedules of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine induced more frequent reactions following the second dose than the standard non-mixed schedules.

“Whilst this is a secondary part of what we are trying to explore through these studies, it is important that we inform people about these data, especially as these mixed-doses schedules are being considered in several countries,” Matthew Snape, associate professor in Paediatrics and Vaccinology at the University of Oxford, said in a statement.

KEY POINTS
    • Preliminary data from the so-called “Com-COV” study found that volunteers receiving alternating doses were more likely to develop mild to moderate symptoms.
    • Some of those symptoms reported among participants receiving a mixed vaccine schedule included chills, fatigue, feverishness, headache, joint pain, malaise, muscle ache and pain at the injection site.
    • The adverse reactions were found to be short-lived and there were no other safety concerns.

So.....my decision to stay with AZ once I had had v1 seems to have paid off. My GP referred me to hospital to have Pf for v2 but I was uncomfortable changing v type without any evidence as to effects so I made a last minute decision to stay with AZ. My reactions have been lengthy and severely unpleasant but I am done for now and glad to be v'd.

Amw66, MeSci, Yessica and 6 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not convinced about this "98.5%" reliability without published data for a population cohort. Serological tests rarely have such high sensitivity.

You might have nothing to worry about.

Wyva, Binkie4, Michelle and 2 others like this.