1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would that also to be expected from the Moderna vaccine?

If the data indicates that the vaccine prevents asymptomatic infection, can we assume a vaccine will also prevent LongCovid?

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: UK House of Commons
    Date: April 8, 2021
    URL:
    https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-03-17/170640
    Ref: http://www.me-net.combidom.com/meweb/web1.4.htm#westminster

[Written Answers]

Coronavirus: Vaccination
    ------------------------

Jim Shannon

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps he
    is taking to ensure that GPs are able to identify (a) asthma and (b) ME
    patients for the covid-19 vaccine through their medical records.

Nadhim Zahawi

To assist general practitioners (GPs) identify patients eligible for a
    vaccine in each priority cohort, NHS Digital has aligned specifications
    for the identification of patients via their medical records with GP
    system suppliers. Asthma sufferers will be identified through this
    system and invited to make an appointment when the vaccination programme
    has reached their respective priority cohort.

To date, chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) has
    not been identified as either a condition that makes an individual
    clinically extremely vulnerable or as a condition that would place an
    individual at increased clinical risk from COVID-19. GPs will therefore
    not specifically be identifying CFS/ME patients for COVID-19 vaccines
    via their medical records. It is more likely that patients with CFS/ME
    will be offered COVID-19 vaccines because they are eligible through
    other means such as their age, or they have other underlying health
    issues that would put them at increased clinical risk.

Invisible Woman, Yessica and MeSci like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

6. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My area changed the mRNA vaccine dose interval from 3 to 6 weeks a few weeks back. They have now changed the interval back to 3 weeks for the high risk group (still 6 weeks for low risk). I find this confusing as the high risk individuals who have already had their first dose, will not have their second appointment moved, they will still have a 6 weeks interval.

I get a sense of this is being more about logistics than a medical decision? Are there any data on 3 weeks being more optimal for immuno-compromised?

7. Snow Leopard

3 weeks is more optimal for everybody in terms of germinal cell kinetics. (for the mRNA vaccines)

8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Extending the period between doses is about getting more people first doses. The UK had 40 million people (50 and above) with their first vaccine by end of March.
    Giving 20 million people 2 doses would still leave a lot of more vulnerable people (over 50) unvaccinated.

So it's a decision based on group interests not individual interest.

Australia doesn't need that strategy - since it has no coronavirus!

9. Mij

In Canada it's 4 months between vaccines(!) It's definitely logistics here. I read somewhere that it's not optimal for seniors.

10. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sigh. Trying to arrange a vaccination to come to my room. Their criteria is you'd need a guerney to get to a vaccination site/your bedbound... Not sure that they'll understand that I can walk down the hall to meet them in another room and if that will make it so I don't qualify.

Don't have the brain ability nor do I want to explain even though I can do something I'm at the other extreme most of the other time.

If I could get to a vaccination site by some means, I can't survive as bad as I am now with adding an additional layer of crash esp cause I have no help.

I wish the extremes and the severeness and the consequences of ME/CFS was common knowledge and appropriate care and help was there for us.

11. Mij

@Yessica

Is your housing situation/arrangement or area considered a 'hot spot' for infections? Maybe you can speak to someone who will consider this and come to your room?

They are doing this in Toronto, going to apartments and knocking on doors administering vaccines in hallways to vulnerable people.

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooohhhhhh boy this is bad. JAMA is pushing the idea that symptoms following vaccination are conversion disorder. At a time when it's important for people to trust the safety and efficacy of vaccines, these ideologues go around telling people that anyone who has symptoms following vaccination, a normal thing caused by the immune system, is actually good old conversion disorder.

Now take an average person who isn't following things and hears dumb stuff like this. Talk about making sure people will distrust anything you say. And all because they are in constant empire-building mode and can't miss an opportunity.

A very homeopathic way to do things: pre-empt quackery... with quackery.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380551095760654338

Chezboo, Snow Leopard, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please move this if it's in the wrong thread:

Rare blood clots - what you need to know

Rare blood clots - what you need to know - BBC News

By Smitha Mundasad
    Health reporter

Investigations are taking place into whether cases of a rare type of blood clot are connected to both the Oxford-AstraZeneca and the Johnson and Johnson (J&J) coronavirus vaccines.

The link between the AstraZeneca vaccine and these rare clots - known as CVSTs - is not yet proven, but UK experts say evidence is "firming up".

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which advises how vaccines should be used, is recommending healthy people under 30 be offered a different vaccine.

The Johnson and Johnson jab is not yet available in the UK - although 30 million doses are on pre-order...

What about the Johnson & Johnson jab?

The Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines work in very similar ways.

Six cases of the rare clots - cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) - have been detected in more than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said.

More at link

14. Snow Leopard

Quite frankly, that article is crap. The problem isn't merely clotting, the problem is that it's inducing a rare autoimmune thrombocytopenia condition which as been temporarily named "vaccine-induced prothrombotic immune thrombocytopenia". Yet that isn't mentioned in the article at all.

It is associated with anti-PF4 antibodies similar to Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia. Notably, PF4 forms complexes with proteoglycans (including heparan sulfate) and the spike protein has known binding affinity to certain proteoglycans. This suggests the B-cell cocapture theory for inducing autoimmunity in this case.

Michelle, Mithriel, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  15. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hm, I dislike the jump to FND as much as anyone, but I disagree. I read the JAMA article. They’re not saying that any symptoms following vaccination are conversion disorder. They’re saying that there are a bunch of adverse effects that we know about – the usual fever etc – and that these are transient.

Then, separately, there are apparently videos circulating on social media claiming to show what they refer to in the article as “major neurologic adverse effects” from the vaccine, in the form of “continuous movements of the trunk and limbs or walking difficulties”.

They then share their view that some of the videos “show evidence of rule-in signs consistent with functional motor symptoms such as asynchronous movements that are variable in frequency and amplitude” and that “The Functional Neurological Disorder Society has issued a statement that features in these videos are seemingly consistent with FND.”

If there are major neurologic adverse effects in some people after the vaccine – and there could be – neurologists will see them and publish case series. Yes, some neurologists will be quicker to reach for FND than others, eg maybe these guys, but we’ll get there. We know about narcolepsy being an adverse effect of the swine flu vaccine. I’m guessing it took a while and a fair bit of disbelief to get there, but major neurologic adverse effects will be documented if they occur.

A trial comparing reported side effects from real vaccines vs placebo injections would be completely unethical at the moment, but if it were possible, it would tease out the real adverse effects from coincidental or unrelated symptoms.

Yes, plenty of the FND stuff is questionable, but so are a lot of the things some people think about vaccines.

Are there other neurologists reporting that they're seeing what seem to be major neurological issues after vaccines? Or saying that what's in the videos could be that?

16. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Snow Leopard

This article seems to miss an entire chapter of history - what came before COVID. The reason why US authorities are so critical of AstraZeneca is because they have a history of not meeting their obligations.

Their other vaccine, FluMist was marketed for several years (from 2013-2016, perhaps earlier) despite being ineffective. The CDC forced their hand by withdrawing approval in 2016, though they later regained approval after "reformulation".
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/s0622-laiv-flu.html'

I do note however that FluMist has never been approved in Australia, likely due to inferior efficacy compared to the regular intramuscular injection - despite all the hypotheses and hype that live oral/nasal immunisations will give better "mucosal immunity", it seems this doesn't play out in reality.

Michelle, MeSci, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ME Association Current Survey: If you have ME/CFS and have made use of the MEA Covid vaccine priority template letters (for GPs and/or CCGs/Health Boards), what was the outcome?
    https://meassociation.org.uk/mea-surveys/

Michelle, Binkie4 and NelliePledge like this.
  19. Mij

Herpes zoster following BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 vaccination in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases: a case series

[QUOTE
    Abstract
    Objectives
    As global vaccination campaigns against COVID-19 disease commence, vaccine safety needs to be closely assessed. The safety profile of mRNA-based vaccines in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases (AIIRD) is unknown. The objective of this report is to raise awareness to reactivation of herpes zoster (HZ) following the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination in patients with AIIRD.

Methods
    The safety of the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination was assessed in an observational study monitoring post-vaccination adverse effects in patients with AIIRD (n = 491) and controls (n = 99), conducted in two Rheumatology Departments in Israel.

Results
    The prevalence of HZ was 1.2% (n = 6) in patients with AIIRD compared with none in controls. Six female patients aged 49 ± 11 years with stable AIIRD: rheumatoid arthritis (n = 4), Sjogren’s syndrome (n = 1), and undifferentiated connective disease (n = 1), developed the first in a lifetime event of HZ within a short time after the first vaccine dose in 5 cases and after the second vaccine dose in one case. In the majority of cases, HZ infection was mild, except a case of HZ ophthalmicus, without corneal involvement, in RA patient treated with tofacitinib. There were no cases of disseminated HZ disease or postherpetic neuralgia. All but one patient received antiviral treatment with a resolution of HZ-related symptoms up to 6 weeks. Five patients completed the second vaccine dose without other adverse effects.

Conclusion
    Epidemiologic studies on the safety of the mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines in patients with AIIRD are needed to clarify the association between the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination and reactivation of zoster.

][/QUOTE]

https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/advance-article/doi/10.1093/rheumatology/keab345/6225015

Michelle, Amw66, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For what it is worth:
    https://measussex.org.uk/me-priority-sussex-argus-21-4/

Sean, Michelle and Wonko like this.