Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica likes this.
  3. Mij

JemPD and Yessica like this.
  4. Mij

So happy to hear that the province I live in will be mobilizing home bound visits for vaccines.

Binkie4, Sly Saint, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  5. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4 and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Perrier

Should I paste the item? Don't recall the rules. I subscribe, so I guess that is why I received it; but I understood there were a certain number of times folks could open up the pages without a subscription.

Binkie4 likes this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can. Apparently there are a number of articles I can view for free. I just clicked on the agree box and away I went.

As far as I recall you can paste salient points but not the whole thing.

Binkie4 likes this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've read it now - clicked on the link in my own message and got it!

Perrier likes this.
  10. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Check this preprint out. These results suggest preventing asymptomatic infection.

https://www.authorea.com/users/3327...cts-against-asymptomatic-sars-cov-2-infection

11. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For what it's worth, the Public Health Agency of Sweden has for the first time published some data on covid-19 infections among the vaccinated population:
    Få fall av covid-19 bland vaccinerade personer
    https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se...-fall-av-covid-19-bland-vaccinerade-personer/

Google Translate, English

Milo, Invisible Woman, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leila, Amw66, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  13. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it true that the Astra Zeneca vaccine will be more effective if the 2nd dose is delayed until 90 days? Or is it more effective if given around the 28 day mark or as soon as possible after that?

14. Mij

I watched this interview on CNN last night about a women who says she recovered from LC from the Pfizer vaccine. A doctor (Dr. William Li) is very interested in this, and Chris Como mentioned that he was being 'treated' with supplements for lingering symptoms of LC that this doctor recommends.

15. Snow Leopard

Long term, I suspect the efficacy of the second dose at both intervals is probably the same. In the short term (3 months after the second dose), there is suggestive evidence that the 12 week interval could lead to higher effiacy.

The second dose of the AZ vaccine doesn't have the same function or effect as the second dose of the mRNA vaccines. The second dose of the mRNA vaccines at ~3 weeks lead to further germinal centre activity and lead to increased quality of neutralising antibodies, but does not lead to a significant increase in antibody titre.

A second AZ dose at this 3 week interval doesn't seem to provide that benefit, likely due to strong anti-vector immune responses. At ~12 weeks, the second dose functions as a booster, leading to clonal expansion of the existing B-cells that are sensitive to the spike protein, leading to a temporary boost in antibody titre. But efficacy (particularly long-term) is not merely a function of antibody titre, it depends on quality as well as quantity...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Binkie4, Mij, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So...AZ produces more, but not a broad a spectrum, and therefore lower 'quality' when met with a real world varied cohort of covid-19 viruses?

Pretty much what I expected of our leaders - bigger numbers are better regardless of what the numbers mean.

17. Snow Leopard

Given that the spike protein itself is almost identical between the mRNA and Adenovirus vectored vaccines, the main differences are the anti-vector immune responses.

This is an 'in mice' study, but testing the whole LD/SD thing, an initial lower dose lead to greater germinal centre activity two weeks after the second dose (4 weeks apart). https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.31.437931v1

I hypothesise based on this evidence that long term, LD/SD/4 weeks would lead to better efficacy than SD/SD/12 weeks for the adenovirus vectored vaccines. Also, this may be why combinations like the 'Sputnik' vaccines provide better efficacy than single adenovirus vectored vaccines.

I'd also like to point out that most other viral-vector vaccine candidates (based on other viruses have ceased development, due to poor efficacy. The adenovirus based vectors may be close to the best we can achieve with viral vectors.

Sisyphus, Michelle, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Milo likes this.
  19. Perrier

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Invisible Woman, Leila and Amw66 like this.
  20. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)