DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'DecodeMe' is used in the subheading. I don't think it's really represented in the article, though.

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ah thanks, I skipped over that obviously. My guess would be that is an error, as they correctly use capitals later on

Robert 1973, Simon M, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tweeted the article author. It's not a big deal but it would be nice if it was edited. It's likely that someone else other than the author wrote the sub-heading.

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, a first step to expose how unreasonable the psychogenic theories are. It's a battle we shouldn't avoid in my opinion.

Woolie, Robert 1973, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree on that, and the article uses ME almost throughout which makes it all the more annoying that the main heading is 'chronic fatigue syndrome sufferers'.

Kitty, Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just shared this to friends on FB with the comment:

"Given anyone - you, your love ones, friends - could fall prey to ME/CFS, then it's better to understand the reality of it now. Especially as you may already know someone with the condition but misunderstand them without realising. There is a whole range of severities, but the one thing in common ... is that it completely screws up the life you used to have."

Edited very slightly for clarity on FB, so here also.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Hutan, janice, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just downloaded this week's New Scientist (thank you to my local library) and it seems really odd that so far I can see no mention of this in the news section. Or on the website. They are normally all over genetic projects.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just checked it and it is now DecodeME.

Hutan, Woolie, Robert 1973 and 9 others like this.
  11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that is really weird. But they have this article which is currently #2 on their website:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ing-coronavirus-symptoms-can-last-for-months/

“Why strange and debilitating coronavirus symptoms can last for months
    From extreme fatigue to weight loss, numbness, breathing difficulties and chest pain, some people’s covid-19 symptoms are proving very hard to shake“

However from what I can see, they’re not linking it to ME or even other types of post viral fatigue, rather it’s written as if it’s only specific to coronavirus.

I can’t access the whole article, if anyone can I’d like to know what it says afterwards. But it would be very odd if they didn’t mention ME at all in the whole article.

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Kitty

I think that's quite wise for now, at least in relation to ME. Yes, the possibility of patients developing it should be mentioned, but for those people with symptoms not often seen in ME, it's useful to keep it in its own category until we know more.

We might eventually see one or more subgroups emerging amongst the post-Covid group: some whose presentation looks typical of ME, some who have additional symptoms, and perhaps some who look broadly similar but lack a core ME characteristic such as delayed PEM.

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's incredible to see all this coverage. My head is spinning.
    This is so important. One of the initial tropes from Wessely was that this must have only happened from a severe illness, the kind that borderline leaves you wondering if it would kill you. Hence the trauma nonsense. It's all about something that probably floored the patient initially, leaving them in a state of shock about whether it was normal to resume daily activities.

And yet, nope. Not at all. Too many accounts of people with barely any initial symptoms developing the same, and all saying the same about exertion being the main trigger. This trope has been beaten down to a pulp, especially as there was a clear gearing up to label it all as PTSD, with expectations that the heavier cases would be the ICU ones, the traumatized ones.

Nope. Complete fantasy fabricated by people with no insight whatsoever into the illness progress.

Hutan, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 12 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/actionforme/posts/10158458029628209

janice, Woolie, MarcNotMark and 17 others like this.
  16. Kitty

14,000 – wow!

Hutan, janice, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  17. Barry

I also read that in order to achieve the 20,000 suitable participants they need, they are hoping for around 40,000 applicants to choose from.

janice, Woolie, RuthT and 14 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Is it done on a weekly basis possibly would be covered in next edition?

19. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Considering that the project hasn't had its formal launch yet - just its funding announcement - I think it's doing incredibly well.

I feel confident about that 40,000! :)

Hutan, janice, Woolie and 16 others like this.
  20. Barry

Me too, very much so.

janice, MEMarge, Kitty and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.