1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems to assume that funding a GWAS for ME is depriving other ME researchers from getting funding. But there is no fixed pot for ME research and no reason to think that this will reduce anyone else’s chances of getting funding for ME research. In the long run the results of the GWAS will likely lead to much more, and more useful, ME research being funded, and in the short term I’m not sure if it will have much effect – although I hope it may convince more researchers that it is worthwhile applying to the MRC and NIHR for funding for biomedical ME studies. GWAS is either worth doing or it’s not, and I think we’re all agreed that it will be useful, and it is very good news that it has been funded.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree that funding this study is
    • not likely to be taking away funding that would have gone to other useful biomedical investigations of ME/CFS.
    • important as a foundation study - even if it identifies no genes increasing vulnerability, that is useful information.
    Also, substantial funding currently goes to tiny genetic studies and other biomedical studies based on theories built on the belief that there are specific genetic causes (e.g. the Griffith TRP channelopathy idea). DecodeME might rule out or confirm these ideas, helping to reduce the amount of time and research funding spent on dead-ends.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 27 others like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a shame that the Guardian article contains a link at the side to their awful article from last summer...

chrisb, rvallee, Joh and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.virology.ws/2020/06/25/...ics-project-my-letter-to-codes-investigators/

Woolie, Amw66, Wonko and 13 others like this.
  5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to previous discussions about what a "null result" might mean for the study. I cannot find what I'm looking for through the forum search. I remember such discussion, possibly last year.

Barry and Kitty like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Woolie, Joan Crawford and 9 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

janice, Woolie, sebaaa and 13 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to know how a GWAS can assist in separating the multiple diseases which are by many thought to be grouped under the ME/CFS label.

When GWAS results are dicussed, what is usually shown is a Manhattan plot. When that plot shows many different gene associations, the usual interpretation given appears to be that there are many genes that each confer a small increase in disease risk and that the disease in question must be very complex.

But what if the disease in question is actually several diseases which aren't as complex and don't have that many involved genes? Is there a way to figure out if certain combinations of genes tend to appear together, indicating perhaps the existence of multiple diseases? Are there other ways to separate such subgroups in a GWAS?

Robert 1973, janice, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not qualified to answer ... but I'm going to have an unqualified guess anyway. Suppose the ME/CFS cohort ended up showing distinctions from healthy controls, but in two or three different areas, possibly overlapping, possibly not. With such a large cohort might that be possible. If so, that would presumably be enlightening.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    2kidswithME, sebaaa, lycaena and 4 others like this.
  11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't even mastered long division yet, which might give you some indication of my grasp of the subject! – but there are many ways to interrogate and interpret data already, and in three or four years' time machine learning will presumably have gone through another exponential expansion in capability. Add to that the fact that other diseases are being studied in the same way, with really strong potential to provide – eventually – additional filters?

12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm obviously not a geneticist, but I know there are ways to interrogate multi-parameter data from individuals to find subgroups. You might show the results in a chart that looks a bit like a tree (a dendrogram) - with groups with certain similarities branching off. I imagine you'd have to carefully work out which genes to focus on.

tree chart.png

janice, Woolie, Robert 1973 and 12 others like this.
  13. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Woolie, Robert 1973, ahimsa and 18 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Nice to see that in a mainstream news article.

janice, Woolie, OverTheHills and 29 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Woolie, Gecko, Robert 1973 and 9 others like this.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to bring up the name thing again (it was bound to happen sometime), but there is a lot of emphasis on 'chronic fatigue syndrome' and minor recognition of ME in these articles and in this one the name of the project ie ' DecodeME' appears to be being misunderstood as 'Decode me'.

sebaaa, Snowdrop, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I would have loved it if the project was able to use ME throughout, with no mention of CFS. However, given the situation that we are in at the moment in the UK and globally, we need to use both ME and CFS because not all potential participants will have been diagnosed with, or identify themselves as, ME patients. Therefore we use both ME and CFS in communications to reach as many people as possible, to give us the best chance to recruit sufficient participants.

I didn't get that from this article, could you highlight the parts were you think this is the case?

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True, but I'm inclined to think the most important thing right now is the story. If any of the influential people or organisations who're currently listening actually stay engaged, perhaps that's the time to approach this? The vast majority won't, and so it's arguably a waste of time trying to debate it with them.

sebaaa, Sarah94, Sean and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.