1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@Andy Sonya C has tweeted on her personal twitter yesterday that 3300 signed up in the first 12 hours sorry no oomph to search for it. I think I saw it retweeted by @Simon M but possibly it was someone else

2. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Response about DecodeME from leading GP in N Ireland
    "I really welcome this research to unpack this complex condition which impacts so many lives and which leaves those affected and those who endeavour to care for them without answers."

3. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, ahimsa, mango and 9 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But the Times and Guardian clearly heard about it well ahead of them, without any help from them.

janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 5 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think announcements like this usually get sent out as press releases. It's up to the media whether they respond to them. I have no idea whether the SMC receives such press releases.

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 41 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might be worth tweeting that fact. After all BIOpsychosocial. It's right there in their name for the approach.

Sean, rainy, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  8. Barry

upload_2020-6-24_18-14-24.png

WOW!

Presumably this number will also include people like myself who registered as someone not having ME/CFS, but presumably that will be a small %.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Sarah94 and 5 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone brought up the possibility of a response by BPS people. I hope it does not happen. I would interpret the absence of a response as sign they don't know what to do as their control is slipping. If they're smart, they know that they'll have to back off eventually. Maybe that moment has finally come (if they believe that the outcome of the NICE review will be unfavorable).

If there is a response, I suspect they will be more careful than they've been in the past. So probably no stories about death threats. More something like trying to portrait ME/CFS patients as stigmatizing against mental health, perhaps even baiting people on social media with superficially innocent statements.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Woolie, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Way too much text, too many articles and comments for me to catch up with.

PEM today from just trying it. Having PEM from things that seem very good news is a comfortable situation though compared to engaging with all the bad science and with the vilifying that has been coming from 'CFS' researchers in the UK and most of Europe for decades.

Sean O'Neill even retweeted the excellent comment by @PhysiosforME .

Is it true that, in the Times online edition, even a bad (tired woman) photo was replaced?

This feels so unreal. There is a UK journalist wanting to understand -- and doing this in The Times?

Again, thanks to all involved officially and behind the scenes -- and also to everyone keeping up the good comments.

Leaving a meadow of likes here for all of you.

janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 28 others like this.
  11. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've emailed out to the ME group I'm involved in (Chester MESH) and spread about on Facebook groups

I've been reliability informed that 10,000 have signed up already yay

X

janice, Woolie, Keela Too and 19 others like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that was atop the guardian article

13. Barry

Probably try to make it sound like it was their idea all along, and how it (somehow!) fits in with their grand plan

Sarah94, Hutan, Joh and 2 others like this.
  14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Expect to hear a lot more vague statements about neural plasticity and how we can change our biological responses. I suspect BPS will up the ante on this going forward.

Woolie, EzzieD, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Woolie, sebaaa and Kitty like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guardian but the image used for social media posts hasn't been updated so it's the one people see on Twitter. Annoying.

17. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that this - each of many mutations raising risk slightly - is the norm for many diseases and the idea is to identify the biological systems that those SNPs are grouped in, to home in on the cause.

From the DecodeME FAQs:

Findings from such [GWAS] studies have helped to:

• establish the identity of numerous genes involved in Type II diabetes, such as those affecting the action of insulin on fat cells and liver cells. These studies have also helped to identify an unsuspected role in Type II diabetes for a protein that transports zinc into cells, and scientists are developing drugs that target this protein.
    • reveal that microglia, the immune cells of the brain, play a key role in Alzheimer’s disease.
    • demonstrate that thermogenesis, where “brown fat” cells burn off fat to produce heat, is an important pathway impacting on obesity.
    • show that high levels of “good” HDL-cholesterol is simply associated with lower levels of heart disease — but is not actually protective. This explains why the pharmaceutical industry’s $5 billion investment in drugs that increase HDL-cholesterol came to nothing. Instead, GWAS helped to show that a different type of fat, the triglyceride group, does increase the risk of heart disease.
    • establish that many different diseases often share some common biological mechanisms. An immune-regulating molecule called IL-23 plays a significant role in numerous autoimmune diseases. As a result of this insight, existing drugs that are used to inhibit the IL-23 pathway in other diseases have become a mainstay treatment for several autoimmune conditions, including psoriasis and ankylosing spondylitis.

janice, Woolie, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes @Sasha that was my understanding also. Didn’t really understand Dr Van elzakker’s point or what he means about environmental factors, given a lot of research is ongoing in the areas of viruses, infections etc? Prusty for example. Ron Davis looked into infections in blood of patients & OMF have mentioned heavy metals, mould etc, too.
    But we might be looking in the wrong place... or find answers somewhere we never thought to look... and a GWAS could help with that.

Woolie, sebaaa, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  19. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know of anyone looking at mold seriously in ME/CFS, and heavy metals was a pilot study out of Stanford where they then submitted a grant application to the NIH that was denied.

Woolie, Kitty, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A GWAS study is something that, all things being equal, should be done. But all things aren't equal and I am not sure it's the very best use of $4million, given all of the clues screaming 'environmental factors.'

That sounds very much like sour grapes to me. And what screams environmental factors beyond viral triggers we know about? The schizophrenia study simply shows how important genetics are and how much more we need to do to fully understand how genetic risk works.

One thing you can be sure about is that you will never see one of the DecodeME team tweeting something like that.

janice, FMMM1, 2kidswithME and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.