DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Okay, I understand the nature of the problem then.

I'm sure that some clever mathematicians or computer scientists have some idea of how to search for combinations of variants that confer high risk of illness.

Computer science is very interested in search problems, which this is.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You may be right.I think the problem may be the statistics. The number of gene variants is very high, so probabilities of links being real have to be adjusted down. The number of gene variant combinations is far higher and may make the problem intractable. That said, if you know that certain combinations are likely to be of interest you may be able to reduce the problem.

andypants, MeSci, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When this happens is the relevant illness frequency the same in both twins? Or is there the possibility of environmental factors, for those who live in significanly different circumstances.

MeSci and Kitty like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe there is a general assumption that both types twin tend to share environmental factors to an equal extent. So environmental discordance will have an effect but if concordance is more common for monozygotic that must be genetic.

I have to say that I think this is debatable. Monozygotic twins may be more likely to end up with closely matched environmental factors.

Snow Leopard, FMMM1, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"a longer feature on M.E. and also a number of articles The Times are running this week on M.E. /CFS."

Okay, now I believe that non-subscribers are entitled to a couple of articles each week, if logged in, so this suggests we wouldn't be able to read them all this week. Anyone want to summarise so we can see which are most worth reading? :)

That aside, if someone has an actual subscription to the paper, it would be very useful if they could post "Shared" links (they contain the words "Sharetoken"), which would enable the rest of us to read them for, I think, 7 days. Just sayin' :whistle:

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A quick note from me to say thank you to all of you who have shared this exciting news far and wide so far, the reception and reaction from the patient community surpassed what I'd hoped for and made all the hard work leading up to it worthwhile.

janice, Esther12, chicaguapa and 49 others like this.
  7. Barry

Is there a way to see how many pwME have signed up so far?

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not publicly, but naturally we are monitoring it, and it's looking positive. :)

rainy, Comet, Keela Too and 11 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More stories in The Times today (which Andy is posting on other threads).

Whenever a story allow comments, we should be posting the link to the DecodeME website and inviting patients and supporters to sign up. The same for every story about ME/CFS in the media from now on!

Can anyone post on that Times article?

Woolie, AliceLily, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Shout out to the members of the CFS sub-reddit for supporting the study with two threads.

Code:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cfs/comments/he8dxg/uk_to_launch_worlds_largest_genetic_study_into/

Code:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cfs/comments/hea7cx/new_genetic_study_for_mecfs_everyone_can_sign_up/

11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I shared it on fb and also sent a few texts yesterday to (Non ME) people :) One of the people is someone who lives away from London now but when I told her she said “Finally soon you can have an alternative to being gaslit by the NHS!”. I hope that’s true!

janice, mango, Kitty and 12 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wessely: no tweets about DecodeME
    Sharpe: no tweets either
    Henrik Vogt: no tweets either

Do they practice a biopsychosocial approach that pays attention to all important factors, or do they preach a biopsychosocial approach while practizing psychosomatic reductionism?

Not sure who else of the BPS people is active on Twitter.

Hutan, janice, Woolie and 23 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Cowards.

janice, Woolie, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  14. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I noticed this too. For people who are apparently so dedicated to the welfare of and helping people with ME...they seem to be remarkably silent about the biggest ME research project ever to have happened...

janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 17 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The CFS/ME Research account has somehow missed the big news as well. I'm sure once they spot it they'll be more than happy to promote the study.

janice, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 17 others like this.
  17. Barry

"The new @decodeMEstudy is the world’s largest genetic study into ME/CFS."

Given this UK-based ME/CFS study is going to be the largest scientific study of its kind in the world, you would think that makes it highly newsworthy in the UK scientific press, wouldn't you. I think the SMC should ponder that sometimes it is what you do not say that reveals to others most about your motives. I wonder how they would answer to genuine scientists why they have made no mention of this. I think it is good, because it is incredibly revealing.

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad this is finally off the ground!

A quick question, will participants be able to access a set of their own genome data? This (at least in my opinion) would provide a strong incentive to be a part of the study.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

SMC may not have been aware of it until yesterday. I think they usually make a big fuss about ME stuff when the BPS researchers ask them to.

Kitty, Barry, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

After feedback, the following text has been added to the website, directly above the sign-up form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.