Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have always attacked charities, though. Usually, by claiming that being a member of a charity or patient group reduced your chance of recovery.

I am really glad to Sharpe being so open and honest. Now the attitude we have faced behind closed doors is out in the open for all to see.

MEMarge, sea, Sean and 17 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

bloody hell he's lost the plot has he been sacked or suspended or something where does he find the time to do all this tweeting

MEMarge, Sean, JaimeS and 6 others like this.
  3. large donner

large donner Guest

He probably thinks hes got nothing to lose now. He will either fall from grace or pull off a great escape as so much of the establishment need to keep propping up the BPS model, so he might as well lose it with everyone.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

I presume his mood wasnt improved by getting stitched up by SW in the exchanges with M Godwin

MEMarge, Sean, JaimeS and 10 others like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

6. NelliePledge

JaimeS, alktipping, Simone and 8 others like this.
  7. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He seems really pissed off today. Someone should ask if he needs some CBT to change his negative attitudes.

MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Sean and 18 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sean, JaimeS and 23 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

I would say simply addressing the most troublesome symptoms with whatever meds are suitable and tolerated by the patient.

Giving patients realistic expectations and teaching them to pace themselves properly - as patients themselves advise.

Supporting them in their attempts to access whatever benefits and social care they may need.

I am not without sympathy Prof Sharpe. It must be very hard to discover that your patients would probably rate no great treatment at all as being better than the treatment provided by you. Not as hard as coping with the loss of my own successful career and then decades of dealing with harmful treatment, disbelief and derision though. Not to mention the unhelpful beliefs held by the NHS & DWP about my illness & promoted by you.

Edited -spelling

MEMarge, Alex B, WillowJ and 19 others like this.
  10. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you going to tweet that? If not, can I? It was an excellent answer which he should be told

JaimeS, alktipping, Simone and 12 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

please do, I'm not on twitter

12. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you

13. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Invisible Woman

A word of warning - the way IAPT is going in this country, other people with chronic illnesses will shortly be joining us in the shiny new MUS clinics.

MEMarge, WillowJ, Sean and 11 others like this.
  15. large donner

large donner Guest

We don't want any bogus treatments you idiot so until there's one that works just leave us alone to get on with pacing because it works as a management tool, we know, we are the ones using our own bodies, and stop filling up public policy with bullshit bogus pseudo science that makes us worse, stigmatises us and takes away our benefits.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Sean, alktipping, Woolie and 16 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the claims made that PACE showed no harms due to GET, are completely rubbished by that simple fact. The inevitable selection bias (is that the right name for it?) excluded a significant proportion of people likely to be harmed by it. Presumably there are ways to try and control for this; presumably PACE did not control for it.

MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Sean and 7 others like this.
  17. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

They have attacked being members of self-help groups as they claim this will only reinforce symptoms. To be so openly hostile to a charity that has been helping patients for as long as I can remember is reprehensible.

MEMarge, WillowJ, Sean and 18 others like this.
  18. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, this is something I have long argued: merely by taking patients from the clinics, they were skewing the sample. Those clinics were set up to provide CBT-GET. The sample ignored people like me who knew there is no treatment.

MEMarge, sea, Sean and 22 others like this.
  19. Invisible Woman

The attitude to charities, their members and by extension patients is reprehensible. I am glad to see it so openly expressed though. Sharpe says more about himself in that tweet than he realizes!

MEMarge, WillowJ, Sean and 9 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely get the feeling they are hoping to change history, as they realise more and more how incriminating it is proving to be.

WillowJ, Sean, JaimeS and 5 others like this.