Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'So here is a challenge for ME activism:
    Can you articulate what treatment you want as opposed to what you don't want?
    Can you offer a positive vision for care as opposed to negativity about previous research?'

Yes, this has been articulated for at least five years, probably fifteen.
    A treatment based on the sort of evidence accepted as reliable in medicine as a whole.
    Preferably linked to a coherent causal model that allows for logical refinement.
    The BPS model of ME/CFS starting with Wessely and Chalder is incoherent and too vague to be testable. The psychiatric fraternity have shown themselves to be incompetent even in devising something that might come near to a test.

The real issue for people with ME is not whether or not it is biological or psychiatric. It is that the psychiatrists who have chosen to study the illness have shown themselves to be totally incompetent.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like, whether they believe in fairies? Dress to the left?

Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  4. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Joh

6. Jonathan Edwards

'A strong positive message will be more easily heard I think.'

I suppose Dr Sharpe should know. The negative message does not seem to be getting through to the CDC, Parliament, the press, twitter etc. does it?

What a dumb thing to say though. It is the medical profession that are supposed to come up with treatments, not patients. Patients want something that works. Is it that difficult to see that? They don't want something that makes them ineligible for DWP handouts.

MEMarge, WillowJ, Sean and 21 others like this.
  7. Joh

8. Jonathan Edwards

'Good for you. There were four ams to the trial by the way.'

In a court of law Dr Sharpe would make such a fool of himself in front of the judge that his entire testimony would be considered worthless. To repeat endlessly that 'all my critics are dumb and have not read the paper' is not considered useful evidence.

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

If Sharpe is now agreeing, as he almost seems to be, that everything from 1989 onwards about CBT and ME was a complete load of hogwash, why doesn't he say so and we can all agree to get on with something useful.

10. Barry

[My bold]

The manual (and some of the others no doubt), clearly states in as many words the notion of false illness beliefs, even if not that exact phraseology.

Also note it talks about a model, a word which MS seemed averse to using for PACE, but not sure if the context is the same.

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  11. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

He seems to be unravelling.

Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think he is just trying to lessen the blow on PACE tomorrow by focusing on "positivity".

Manipulating patients again.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Sean, JaimeS, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  13. Barry

14. Sleepy2right

Sleepy2right Established Member

Ok, I'll throw a wild one out there, could he have been a reviewer of the paper? Correct me if I'm wrong but the list of reviewers is still unknown and not being an author he would have been eligible? Probably me being too cynical.

Sorry about the late reply, this thread is great but long so I'm having to take it slow. Keep up the good work.

15. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Adrian I've sent you a few more files with screen captured tweets. File nos now go up to number 15 (let me know if they have all arrived) that will take the series up to post number 1500 on this thread.

Many thanks also to a @large donner who kindly sent me an Amazon voucher as a thankyou for doing this - it was not required, but the thought was greatly appreciated. I'm going to enjoy browsing Audible offers later tonight. Then tuning in to my next listen. Ahhhh.... :)

MEMarge, sea, MSEsperanza and 24 others like this.
  16. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Actually, Jonathan, I disagree. the real issue for patients like me with a diagnosis in eighties of ME as defined by Melvin Ramsay IS that we have a poorly understood physical illness that has been catastrophically reframed as psychiatric.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

he hasnt caught anyone on his fishing line yet

18. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite, it's his way to further blame us for our plight.

As for saying respect is key.....totally unbelievable....the psychs have ensured we're all treated with total disrespect for decades, decades!

MEMarge, WillowJ, Sean and 15 others like this.
  19. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Won't work!

20. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)