The micro-clot finding in Long Covid — implications for the possible aetiology of ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Blood (e.g. coagulation, cell stiffness)' started by SNT Gatchaman, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm listening again to the segment of the BBC Inside Science program.
    It's from about 15 minutes to 21 minutes.

The first part was by BBC reporter Emily Bird summarising what has been found about microclots.

The microclots are found in any type of disease where there is inflammation, so in diabetes, psoriasis, cardiovascular disease and neuroinflammatory diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

They looked for them in ME/CFS after finding them in Long Covid, caused, they say, by the spike protein in Long Covid. They found ten times the concentration of microclots in ME/CFS patients compared to controls. The explanation given was that they may be a result of something else in the blood in ME/CFS related perhaps to a dormant infection.

Then a section by Dr Pretorius where she says she doesn't know why there are microclots, but it seems likely that whatever pathology is causing ME/CFS is also causing the microclots, so they are a result, not a cause of ME/CFS. So the microclots are not the cause of ME/CFS but can lead to problems, so may be a perpetuating factor of symptoms.

The reporter had also interviewed Prof Kell, who she said seemed more hopeful that the clots could actually be causing ME/CFS by blocking the smallest blood vessels so leading to tissues in local areas being starved of oxygen which could cause the wide variety of symptoms in ME/CFS and LC.

Dr Kell described the microclots under and electron microscope as like disorganised sphaghetti.

A clip of Dr Kell where he says it can explain things like fatigue and the enormous number of symptoms in ME/CFS and LC. He says it's all about oxygen not getting to tissues, so in the brain, you get brain fog, and muscles don't work properly leading to fatigue, and kidneys not working properly.

Back to the reporter - the question of whether microclots could be a target for treatment. The answer is still a way to go, but some hope from treatments that either prevent the clots forming or gets rid of them.

Pretorius speaks again: see the transcript in RedFox's post #196 above.
    She finishes by saying she hopes the finding in LC will lead to more research as well in other post viral conditions and also in Alzheimers' and Parkinsons' diseases.

Note that Pretorius and Kell were 2 of the speakers and Dr Karl Morten's conference this week. See this thread.

EzzieD, Solstice, sebaaa and 16 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it not the perpetuation of the symptoms which is characteric of ME?

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I was a bit confused by that too. I think they meant that there is something else causing the microclots ie they are a downstream effect of some other cause of inflammation.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems to be a horrible logical, linguistic and causal tangle.

Trish likes this.
  5. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm glad she's being upfront about this. In the past, she's made statements that clots might be the cause, and so did many of her followers. Her current position is better justified by the data. While less impressive, these results are still beneficial because they show it's not in our heads.

EzzieD, Solstice, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wastwater, EzzieD, hinterland and 9 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Kell when asked what the micro clots look like under a microscope, "the elements of the blood clots are fibers which look in a electro microscope look like a plate of spaghetti, except that in the presence of some of these other things such as of bacteria cell walls component, the clotting goes to a completely different type of structure . . " and then goes to describe the structure of parboiled spaghett when not cooked properly sticks together and makes a holy mess.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  8. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/news-an...ood-clotting-imbalance-persists-in-long-covid

The team of researchers, led by Professor James O'Donnell at the RCSI School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences with Dr Helen Fogarty as Clinical Fellow, analysed blood from 50 patients with Long COVID syndrome up to 12 weeks post infection with the COVID-19 virus. They compared the samples to 'controls', blood from healthy people who did not have Long COVID syndrome.

The study found that the blood of patients with Long COVID syndrome had higher levels of a blood-clotting booster called von Willebrand Factor (VWF), and lower levels of a protein that normally breaks down VWF, called ADAMTS13. Their analysis also suggests that blood vessels were still being damaged long after the initial infection, and that specific cells of the immune system were at abnormal levels in patients with Long COVID.

9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study originally mentioned on this thread
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/susta...-immune-dysfunction-2022-fogarty-et-al.28761/

Braganca likes this.
  10. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this one a good study?

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had to say without looking at the paywalled paper in detail. The measurements are probably valid but their significance is unclear. Within 12 weeks of Covid it may not be that surprising that clotting factors are shifted - that need not mean that any further clotting is occurring. The T cell differences are very non-specific and unlikely to mean much in relation to clotting.

Ariel, TrixieStix, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in Nature
    Could tiny blood clots cause long COVID’s puzzling symptoms?
    full article
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02286-7

RedFox, Kalliope, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  13. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a bit baffled why there hasn't been a push elsewhere (particularly USA) to run GWAS studies on long covid, and indeed ME/CFS. Just strikes me that latching onto this or that theory --- it's the micro-clots or whatever --- leads to research which may have nothing to do with the disease i.e. long covid (or indeed ME/CFS).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Ariel, RedFox, sebaaa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Prof Kell on Twitter, "To those doing well on nattokinase and/or serrapeptase and/or lumbricase pls can you tell #TeamClots which BRAND and frequencies you use. Just poss that some non-responders are using lousy brands. Can then at least then use those known to work."

sebaaa, FMMM1, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  15. Mij

Shouldn't he be asking or advising not take these supplements unless they've had blood work done to determine if they actually need this instead of providing info to 'teamclots"?

Have LC pts been tested first to see if they actually need this?

They are not innocent supplements. I had quite a scare taking them 20 years ago.

Solstice, FMMM1, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  16. Mij

FMMM1, Ariel, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People doing drug trials do not normally use Twitter for quality control.
    This seems pretty peculiar.

Tia, Charles B., Solstice and 14 others like this.
  18. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone else just eat natto anyway? I've been eating some usually once a week or so for quite some years. I'm sure that's not the dosage in whatever these supplements are, but... why don't they study effects of natto eating for comparison? Sign me up!

I love natto but these supplements and potions? Hm.

Midnattsol, Hutan, Mij and 2 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well.....my response was 'WTF is natto' - I'm 56 (I think) and I've never heard of it.

I did gather that at least one person considers it might be a type of food ;)

It turns out that the reason I've never heard of it, when I have heard of many, many, types of food, is because I'm from the NE of England, which suggests that I'm probably not Japanese, where natto seems to be from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nattō

20. Mij

I've looked around town for natto to eat as a food but haven't been able to find any. I take vitamin K2 ( menaquinone-7 (MK-7)) supplements made from natto. It's a small dosage. Studies show that it's beneficial for bone health.